9 months agoChelsea striker Giroud: Cesc a great opportunity for Monaco

first_imgChelsea striker Giroud: Cesc a great opportunity for Monacoby Paul Vegas9 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveOlivier Giroud has no doubts former Chelsea teammate Cesc Fabregas will be a success with AS Monaco.Cesc left Chelsea last week for ASM and made his debut in last night’s 1-1 draw at Olympique Marseille.Giroud told Telefoot: “Cesc is a great player, he has this quality of vision of the game, of intelligence of passes. “He’s one of the best players I’ve played with. “This is a great opportunity for Monaco.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

25 days ago​Wijnaldum happy Liverpool grinding out results

first_imgAbout the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say ​Wijnaldum happy Liverpool grinding out resultsby Freddie Taylor25 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveLiverpool midfielder Gini Wijnaldum is delighted by the consistency shown by the Reds this season.They have managed to win their first seven games of the season, building a five-point cushion over Manchester City in the process.Wijnaldum is not too concerned if some of their wins are scrappy, such as the 1-0 success over Sheffield United this weekend.”We wanted to create a chance but I think they defended really good,” the 28-year-old told the club’s official website.”We were not at our best to create chances today. We had a few but it was more because they made mistakes.”But all that matters at the end of the day is we have the three points. Especially at the early stage of the season, you have to make sure that you collect as many points as possible because normally during the season you get better and better.”In the beginning of the season you are not at your best, so that’s why it’s good that we collect points.” last_img read more

6 days agoNewcastle boss Bruce: England will happen for Longstaff brothers

first_imgAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Newcastle boss Bruce: England will happen for Longstaff brothersby Paul Vegas6 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveNewcastle United boss Steve Bruce says the Longstaff brothers are capable of playing for England.Sean, 21, and Matty, 19, have never been involved with the national team at any level and, until recently, were not part of the list of young players being tracked inside St George’s Park.But Bruce said: “I think they just have to be given time. They will find their way if they’re playing regularly.”I would think in the next few weeks, if they’re both going to be in the team, then they will come under the spotlight. Gareth has a blueprint of putting young players in and changing it, which is quite refreshing.”So if they keep playing to a certain level, everything will find them, whether it’s international call-ups, new contracts, new cars, the whole lot will fall into place.” last_img read more

Urban Meyer On Conference Strength: “I Don’t Know Anyone Else’s Schedule”

first_imgARLINGTON, TX – DECEMBER 29: Head coach Urban Meyer of the Ohio State Buckeyes during the Goodyear Cotton Bowl against the USC Trojans in the second quarter at AT&T Stadium on December 29, 2017 in Arlington, Texas. (Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)Among the most prominent college football talking points heading into week two was that of Ohio State’s weak remaining schedule. Michigan State is the only ranked team on the Buckeyes’ schedule, which many SEC coaches, including Bret Bielema and Dan Mullen, complained about. The weekend did not go well for those two; Mullen lost by two against LSU despite the Tigers failing to generate any kind of passing offense, while Bielema’s Razorbacks were embarrassed by Toledo.When asked about the complaints during his Monday press conference, Meyer said that he doesn’t pay attention to any other team’s schedule.Asked about strength of conferences, Urban Meyer: “I don’t know anyone else’s schedule. … I don’t know how (people) know that.”— Ari Wasserman (@AriWasserman) September 14, 2015Urban Meyer says he has no idea how the Big Ten is perceived right now. “I don’t know anyone’s schedule…I don’t care.”— Ben Axelrod (@BenAxelrod) September 14, 2015While conference pride plays a factor in college football, for the top teams in the country, that’s probably the correct approach.last_img read more

Video: Bill O’Reilly Asked Urban Meyer If He’d Have Cut Jameis Winston Following The Crab Legs Incident

first_imgA closeup of Urban Meyer on Ohio State's sideline.INDIANAPOLIS, IN – DECEMBER 02: Head coach Urban Meyer of the Ohio State Buckeyes looks on as they play the Wisconsin Badgers during the second half of the the Big Ten Championship game at Lucas Oil Stadium on December 2, 2017 in Indianapolis, Indiana. (Photo by Joe Robbins/Getty Images)Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer made the rounds yesterday, appearing on The Dan Patrick Show, CBS, ESPN and Fox to promote his new book, titled “Above the Line.” Bill O’Reilly, host of The O’Reilly Factor, made sure to ask some interesting questions.O’Reilly, alluding to Meyer’s strict policies, asked the Buckeyes head man what he’d have done if Jameis Winston, who infamously stole crab legs from a Publix ahead of the 2014 season, had been on his team. He said he “would have had a hard time letting it go.”Of course, it’s always easy to say what you’d have done when you aren’t in the exact situation. That being said, Meyer probably runs a tighter ship now than he did in the past.last_img read more

Analysis Rising US China rivalry deepening rifts in Asia

first_imgBANGKOK — All the usual rituals of international summits were there: the group photos, the gala dinners, the noticeably vibrant shirts leaders force themselves into. But eclipsing all of that at Asia’s two big meetings was some unusually forthright criticism that exposed deepening divisions rattling the region.Front and centre was the rivalry between the U.S. and China. The two countries are locked in a widening trade war and their representatives used the summits to exchange barbs and manoeuvr to expand their influence.Competition between the great powers is not new to the region. But over decades of war, financial crises and other setbacks, countries across Asia and the Pacific Rim have used these annual meetings to talk through such problems, usually opting to sideline disagreements in a show of unity. Consensus, not conflict, is typically the norm.This year is different.The clash between the world’s two biggest economies is shaking the bedrock of regional amity and leaving some countries worried they will be forced to choose between Beijing and Washington. It also may bode poorly for compromise between Presidents Donald Trump and Xi Jinping when they meet this month at the Group of 20 gathering in Argentina.The antagonisms kicked off last week at a Southeast Asian summit in Singapore, where U.S. Vice-President Mike Pence, standing in for Trump, declared that “empire and aggression have no place” in the region, a clear reference to Chinese expansion in the disputed South China Sea.The discord carried over to the annual Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation forum in Papua New Guinea, where leaders failed for the first time in nearly 30 years of such gatherings to endorse a final joint statement. China apparently pushed back hard against U.S. demands for strong language against unfair trade practices.Pence and Chinese leaders sparred at both summits, with the vice-president describing China’s militarization and expansion in the South China Sea as “illegal and dangerous.” He accused Beijing of threatening the sovereignty of many nations and said it “endangers the prosperity of the world.”Chinese Premier Li Keqiang smacked back, urging fellow leaders to send a positive message to markets ruffled by the trade war, which has seen both sides imposing punitive tariffs on billions of dollars of each other’s exports and has the potential to unravel supply chains across the globe.The acrimony may be somewhat less apparent at the G-20 gathering in Buenos Aeries, which will include leaders from across the globe and the focus will be global, not regional.But the strains between the U.S. and China were painful enough in Singapore that the gathering’s urbane host, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, appealed for a bit less candour and greater camaraderie, saying it would be easier if everybody was “on the same side.”Across Asia, countries worry they will have to “choose one or the other,” he said. “I hope it does not happen soon.”Most Asian nations are loath to make such a choice because they benefit from the rivalry, whether economically, militarily or both. For most, China is their largest trading partner. But they are wary of China’s military might and see the U.S. and its presence in the region as a welcome counterbalance.China’s footprint was everywhere in the Papuan capital, Port Moresby, from a showpiece boulevard and international convention centre built with Chinese help to bus stop shelters sporting “China Aid” plaques. A huge billboard showed Xi gazing beneficently beside Papua New Guinea’s leader.At that meeting, Pence took aim at China’s global infrastructure drive, known as the “Belt and Road Initiative,” suggesting that Beijing was drowning its partners in debt and infringing on their sovereignty.He also announced the U.S. would join ally Australia’s plan to develop a naval base in Papua New Guinea. That followed a hush-hush working level meeting in Singapore of the Quadrilateral Security Dialogue, which involves the U.S., Japan, Australia and India and is viewed as a challenge to China’s expanding military reach.Xi, the Chinese president, suggested the U.S. was bending the rules of global institutions set up after World War II, such as the World Trade Organization, and using them for “selfish agendas.”This year’s friction wasn’t confined to jousting between the U.S. and China.In Singapore, Myanmar’s leader Aung San Suu Kyi, who usually is not put on the spot by the other leaders, appeared grim and weary after she was sharply criticized by Pence and by Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamed over the Buddhist majority-nation’s treatment of ethnic Muslim Rohingya. Hundreds of thousands of Rohingya have fled killings and other violence in Myanmar and are crowded in dire conditions in camps in Bangladesh.True to form, China saw an opportunity and responded to the criticism by having Li reach out and reaffirm Beijing’s support for Myanmar’s efforts to maintain domestic stability.As China and the U.S. manoeuvr for influence across a region stretching from India to the tip of South America, the biggest worry is that the jousting could escalate into a full-blown confrontation as Chinese and U.S. warships and aircraft prowl the region. A near collision of a Chinese destroyer and the USS Decatur near a disputed reef in the South China Sea in late September added to those concerns.Still, the jostling for supremacy comes with mixed signals.The regional summitry over, two U.S. B-52 bombers on Monday flew over the South China Sea in what U.S. Pacific Air Forces said was a “routine training mission.” But on Wednesday, the aircraft carrier USS Reagan docked in Hong Kong in what was viewed as a friendly gesture — it required Beijing’s approval.___Elaine Kurtenbach is the Asia business editor for AP and has reported from across the region since 1987.An AP News AnalysisElaine Kurtenbach, The Associated Presslast_img read more

LS polls AAP to launch second phase of campaigning on Apr 10

first_imgNEW DELHI: The Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) will launch its second phase of campaigning for the upcoming general election on April 10 with an aim to reach out to 35 lakh people, including the working-class population, and tell them about the importance of full statehood to Delhi.Delhi minister and senior AAP leader Gopal Rai said the booth-level workers of the party would go to people, instead of calling them to jan sabhas. “In the first phase, we held jan sabhas with people, now we will go to the people, including the working class, and tell them about the importance of full statehood,” he said. Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murderRai added that the campaigning would be held in three phases and the second phase would start from April 10. “We will be engaging 13,814 booth heads and train them over the next two days to convey the message of the importance of full statehood to the people,” he said. The AAP leader said the third phase of campaigning would be launched after the candidates file their nominations. Rai claimed that his party’s first phase of campaigning had pushed the BJP on the “back foot”. “The BJP, which had thought it would have a walkover in Delhi, is now confused about which candidates should be fielded,” he said. Also Read – Two brothers held for snatchingsMeanwhile, he also said if the Congress is confident of winning in Punjab without an alliance, his party is also capable of winning all the seats in Delhi on its own. Questioning Congress leader Randeep Surjewala’s statement where he said his party was not in talks with the AAP or any other party for an alliance in Haryana and Punjab, Rai asked whether the Congress has forgotten about its loss in the bypolls in Jind. “I do not understand why Congress is so self-obsessed. It appears that it is in a state of maha-confusion,” he said. Rai said AAP took the decision of contesting on 35 seats in different states, keeping in mind that “it can contribute in defeating the BJP. You can win in Punjab but what about Haryana. The Congress is ready to lose but not form an alliance in Haryana,” he said. “Even people in Haryana are saying that if JJP-AAP and Congress stand together then BJP cannot win and can lose all 10 seats,” he added.last_img read more

Ronaldo expected better from Neymar at World Cup

first_imgBrazil legend Ronaldo Nazario has admitted that he had expected better from Neymar following his struggles at the World CupThe Paris Saint-Germain forward was only able to find the back of the net twice for Brazil in the competition and was unable to make an impact as the Selecao were surprisingly knocked out by Belgium in the quarter-finals.In fact, Neymar received more recognition for his theatrics on the pitch while reacting to tackles and any physical alterations with opposition players with fans having even gone as far as creating a game called the “Neymar Challenge”.But Ronaldo, who is widely considered to be one of the greatest players in World Cup history, did suggest that Neymar’s foot injury, which ended his club season at PSG in February, may have been a possible reason as to why he failed to produce the level of performances that had been expected of him.Ronaldo told Sport: “We all expected more from him because he’s the star of the team,”“I don’t know if it was because of the operation he had on his foot or another problem but I saw him as quite limited on the pitch.Neymar responds to PSG criticism with a stunning winner Tomás Pavel Ibarra Meda – September 14, 2019 Despite all the backlash he got today at Parc des Princes, Neymar responded by scoring a stunning winner vs Strasbourg.We all knew that Neymar’s…“To arrive at a World Cup following an operation and three months out is complicated. To play the first match as if nothing had happened is difficult.”The next World Cup in Qatar in four years time may be Neymar’s last chance to win the tournament due to the fact that he will be 30 years old come the start of the competition.But Ronaldo feels that the 26-year-old still has time on his side to make an impact.“He must learn from this World Cup because at 26 he is still a young boy,” he said.“Either way, he’s an extremely talented young man who carries a great deal of responsibility.”last_img read more

Suspect At West University Shooting Had No History of Mental Health Issues

first_img Share Al OrtizHouston police investigate a mass shooting in West University, Houston, on September 26th, 2016.Nathan Desai, the suspect at the active shooter incident in the West University area last month, had no known mental health issues or criminal history, Houston Police Department said on Wednesday on a press release.The HPD also confirmed that Desai, who was pronounced dead at the scene after being felled by police, was wearing a replica of a World War II German SS General’s uniform and that he had a license to carry a handgun. The Department also released the names of the police officers who discharged their weapons during the incident. The list includes five HPD oficers, three Bellaire officers and one West University officer.None of the officers were hurt that morning but nine people were shot or injured by the suspect as he shot at cars driving through the area.last_img read more

Weather likely to improve from today mercury set to dip further

first_imgKolkata: The weather condition in the city will improve from Wednesday, leading to a further drop in temperature, predicted the Regional Metereological Centre at Alipore on Tuesday. Meanwhile, Sandakphu witnessed mild snowfall on Tuesday, for the first time this winter season. It was a light drizzle accompanied by snowfall.The weather office also predicted that the city’s sky may remain cloudy from Wednesday morning and there will be a little drizzle in some parts of the city as well as South Bengal districts. The districts may witness bright sunshine from Thursday, as the cyclonic storm ‘Phethai’ has been weakened. Also Read – Rain batters Kolkata, cripples normal life”As the cyclonic condition clears, the mercury will start to drop further from Wednesday. There will be light drizzle in some parts of the city, even on Wednesday. The cyclonic storm has lost momentum due to the constant blowing of the northwesterly wind in the state. The wind will intensify further, as soon as the sky gets cleared,” a senior official of the Alipore Met office said. It may be mentioned that the city and South Bengal districts witnessed light to moderate rainfall on Tuesday, as was predicted. ‘Phethai’ has been hovering in the coastal areas of Odisha after it turned into a low-pressure zone. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Mercedes car in Kolkata, 2 pedestrians killedIt may be mentioned that during last week, the minimum temperature had shot up as moisture in the air had been rising after the formation of a low pressure trough over Bay-of-Bengal. The mercury had started climbing due to the incursion of moisture since last week. The districts like North 24-Parganas, South 24-Parganas, Hooghly and Howrah received light rainfall overnight, while districts like East Midnapore, West Midnapore, Purulia and Bankura received light to moderate rainfall on Tuesday. The districts also experienced strong gusty winds. According to a weather official, the temperature may dip to 9 degree Celsius during Christmas this year. Traffic movement in various parts of the city was slow on Tuesday morning, due to the drizzle. The temperature on Tuesday remained around 16 degree Celsius. “The temperature on Wednesday may hover around 14 degree Celsius, while it will drop further from Thursday. As the clouds start disappearing from Wednesday, the mercury will slide further down,” the weather official said.last_img read more