PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad, CMC – Trinidad and Tobago Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley has accused a small leadership clique of “hijacking” West Indies cricket and argues that unless fundamental changes are made in the area of governance, the region will continue to languish behind the rest of the cricketing world. The outspoken regional leader, who in the past has been critical of the West Indies Cricket Board’s management of the sport, said the issue of ownership also remained a critical issue in the resolution of the crisis facing the game in the Caribbean. “Caribbean cricket has been hijacked by a small clique of people who are hell bent on destroying Caribbean cricket and my position [is], unless the question is answered as to who owns that asset, we’re spinning top in mud,” Rowley told morning television show in his home country. “In Pakistan and in Australia that question has been answered and new arrangements were put in place and they rebuilt their team under new arrangements. “We’re being told in the West Indies – and I was told to my face along with my colleague the Prime Minister of Grenada [Dr Keith Mitchell] that you (CARICOM) have no say in this. This is West Indies Cricket Inc. and it is their shareholders they have to please.” He added: “I don’t know who the shareholders are but what I do know, is that unless there are drastic changes to the current arrangements, West Indies cricket will never get back where we expect it to be.” West Indies cricket has been in the doldrums for nearly two decades now, plagued by poor results on the field and player tensions with the WICB, and occasionally player strikes. The Test team currently sits in the nether regions of the international rankings at number eight while the one-day team is ninth, behind sides like Bangladesh and Pakistan. That lowly rank caused them to miss out on qualification for this year’s Champions Trophy and unless they can creep into the top seven in the world by September 30, they will also miss out on automatic qualification for the 2019 World Cup. With the game immersed in conflict, a Governance Review Panel chaired by UWI Cave Hill principal, Professor Eudine Barriteau and commissioned by regional nation grouping, CARICOM, recommended the “immediate dissolution” of the WICB in a 2015 report, arguing the body’s governance structure was “obsolete” and “anachronistic”. The report called for the “appointment of an interim board whose structure and composition will be radically different from the now proven, obsolete governance framework.” However, the WICB was quick to reject the report, labelling the proposal as an “unnecessary and intrusive demand. Since then, CARICOM and the WICB have remained at odds over the way forward. Rowley pointed out that the decline of Caribbean cricket was underscored by the state of first class cricket, which has ceased to be attractive to the public.
NorthPort ‘gave up in the last 5 minutes’ vs Rain or Shine Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil LATEST STORIES Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Japeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for Ginebra Philippine Army to acquire MANPADS, self-propelled howitzers Tom Brady most dominant player in AFC championship history Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. “I think the block had a purpose, to help me prepare myself in case I get tasked to take the game-winner I’d be able to hit it.”Galanza said the play was supposed to set up Poy Erram underneath and let him operate within the last 2.3 seconds of game time but Phoenix was able to read the scheme after Justin Chua deliberately stepped on the sideline to get a delay of game infraction.Erram was pinned down in the crowded paint and JR Quiñahan had no choice but to throw it to the open Galanza at the top of the key only for Abueva to make the swat.Galanza, who’s been receiving more than 24 minutes of playing time due to the absence of the suspended Kiefer Ravena and the injured Kevin Alas, was drafted 46th overall in the 2015 PBA Rookie Draft stayed for two years with the Kia franchise before getting cut and playing for a Batangas club in another professional league in 2018.This type of backstory was what fueled Galanza to prove his worth and he vowed that he could knock down a game-winner in the future.ADVERTISEMENT Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title He only needed to make that last gasp three to win the game for the Road Warriors. Instead, he was on the receiving end of a Calvin Abueva block that in turn preserved the Fuel Masters’ 83-82 victory.Galanza, who went in and out of the from 2016 to present, had a solid outing for the undermanned Road Warriors with 12 points on 5-of-10 shooting and everything could’ve gone perfectly if not for Abueva’s game-winning denial.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissSPORTSCoronation night?SPORTSThirdy Ravena gets offers from Asia, Australian ball clubsThe University of the East alum, however, did not dwell on the negativity of the botched play and instead looked at it as a way to get better as a player.“Ever since I was in UE I’ve been involved in late-game plays and I also had chances to win the game and unfortunately I also have last shots that didn’t go in,” said Galanza in Filipino Friday at Mall of Asia Arena. MANILA, Philippines—Bong Galanza could’ve been the unlikely savior for NLEX against Phoenix Friday night in the 2019 PBA Philippine Cup.ADVERTISEMENT In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ “Nothing’s impossible, you just have to believe,” said Galanza. “I just have to work on those kinds of situations so when the time comes I have more confidence that I can make the shot.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? Phivolcs: Slim probability of Taal Volcano caldera eruption Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college MOST READ View comments
Indigenous students at the Mahaicony dormitory in Region Five (Mahaica-Berbice) can now focus on their upcoming examinations, as the problems associated with the lack of adequate food has been alleviated. Guyana Times was informed that on Monday, food supplies such as chicken, eggs, sausages and vegetables were transported to the facility which houses 20 students; all from the Indigenous community of Moraikabi, located some 10km up the Mahaicony River.The publication understands that “officials” promised that these supplies will be delivered on a weekly basis. This publication was further informed that these officials are expected to visit the facility some time soon.The students who are currently residing at the facility range in age from 12-16 and currently attend Mahaicony, Hope, Belladrum, Novar and Bygeval Secondary Schools. Four of the 20 are in preparations for their CXC examinations.Two weeks ago, 25 pounds of fish, one bag of potatoes and a quantity of sausages were supplied to the dormitory. On Saturday night, all that remained however was some of the potatoes, which was insufficient to feed the 22 residents, inclusive of the two guardians.Guyana Times had reported on Sunday that even though the current batch of students moved into the facilities in October, there were deteriorating conditions at the premises which needed to be addressed. It was revealed that one side of the compound’s fence was damaged and repairs were also needed to the piping system.Information reaching this newspaper indicated that officials from the region and the Education Ministry visited the facility over three weeks ago and promised that the many concerns raised would be addressed.