A young industrialist, Gunjan Khemka, was shot dead on Thursday at the gate of his factory in Hajipur near Patna. He had been receiving extortion and threat calls for the last six months.Vaishali Superintendent of Police Manavjeet Singh Dhillion said: “An unidentified criminal fired at Gunjan Khemka when he was waiting outside the gate of his factory in industrial area of Hajipur…three rounds were fired at him and he was declared dead when taken to the local hospital…his driver Manoj Ravidas too has received gunshot injuries”. Gunjan Khemka, 38, owned G.K. Cotton factory at Hajipur in Vaishali district and his father Gopal Khemka, too, is a big businessman of the State. The family is said to be owners of a big hospital, medical stores and a private school in Patna.Gopal Khemka is the State convener of small industries cell of BJP in Bihar. Family members of the Gunjan told journalists that he and his wife have been receiving extortion calls for the last six months. “He had lodged a complaint regarding this at the local Gandhi Maidan police station but no action was taken…had the police acted upon his complaint, he would have been alive today,” said a family member requesting anonymity.Traders shocked Meanwhile, the daylight murder of Gunjan Khemka has sent a shock wave among the business community of the State. Some local BJP leaders too reached his residence to offer condolences. “I would request to the government to act swiftly…the culprits must be booked soon”, said local BJP MLA Nitin Navin. Opposition leaders slammed the Nitish Kumar government for complete failure on the law and order front in the State. “Everyday people are being killed, looted and raped in Bihar…but there is no one to look after…governance has collapsed in the State,” charged RJD leader and party spokesperson Bhai Birendra.
Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa In his return, Melecio scored just three points and turned the ball over twice in the Green Archers’ 85-62 win over University of the Philippines in the UAAP Season 83 men’s basketball tournament.Melecio, though, is just glad to be back for La Salle after missing four games and didn’t mind the measly numbers he tallied. FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutout“I told myself that I’d be happy by just being on the floor, if I do that I’m already set,” said Melecio in Filipino. “I really missed playing and I was so happy when I was able to play again.” “I’m not at a hundred percent yet because it’s not like you’ll play well immediately after an injury or sickness,” said Melecio. “I’ll just have to be patient.” For the complete collegiate sports coverage including scores, schedules and stories, visit Inquirer Varsity. Fire hits houses in Mandaluyong City MOST READ View comments BSP sees higher prices in November, but expects stronger peso, low rice costs to put up fight LOOK: Loisa Andalio, Ronnie Alonte unwind in Amanpulo for 3rd anniversary Nonong Araneta re-elected as PFF president LATEST STORIES Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles02:36Archers, Eagles favorites to win UAAP Season 8002:16Duque: It’s up to Palace to decide on Dengvaxia’s fate01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games FILE – La Salle’s Aljun Melecio during the Green Archers game against the UP Fighting Maroons in the first round. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netDe La Salle guard Aljun Melecio just had his first game back after contacting dengue fever almost a month ago, and looked like a shell of his former self.Melecio averaged 14 points, three rebounds, 3.3 assists, and 1.8 steals in his first four games before getting hospitalized for two weeks.ADVERTISEMENT Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Read Next Tenorio flourishing in finals despite playing through injury Frontrow holds fun run to raise funds for young cancer patients Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC
Chelsea striker Giroud: Cesc a great opportunity for Monacoby Paul Vegas9 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveOlivier Giroud has no doubts former Chelsea teammate Cesc Fabregas will be a success with AS Monaco.Cesc left Chelsea last week for ASM and made his debut in last night’s 1-1 draw at Olympique Marseille.Giroud told Telefoot: “Cesc is a great player, he has this quality of vision of the game, of intelligence of passes. “He’s one of the best players I’ve played with. “This is a great opportunity for Monaco.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Rice praises West Ham character for Aston Villa drawby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveDeclan Rice praised West Ham’s character for their 0-0 draw with Aston Villa.Rice says West Ham would have lost Monday’s goalless draw at Aston Villa last season, but instead the confidence and spirit in the squad enabled them to grind out a hard-earned point.He told whufc.com: “To be honest, I think we’re very happy with the point. We were a bit slow in the first half. We kept the ball well at times, but it was a bit too end-to-end and in the second half, when we went down to ten, we knew it was going to be tough because we know they’ve got some top players, but we dug in, defended really well and were still creating chances.“We weren’t just sat back. We were still trying to get the three points and I think we can be happy with our night’s work.”He added: “When we’re playing now, we’re playing with that confidence. We’re defending hard, we’re attacking hard and every player who puts on the shirt, we’re feeling confident to go out there and get the three points.”
About the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say Wijnaldum happy Liverpool grinding out resultsby Freddie Taylor25 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveLiverpool midfielder Gini Wijnaldum is delighted by the consistency shown by the Reds this season.They have managed to win their first seven games of the season, building a five-point cushion over Manchester City in the process.Wijnaldum is not too concerned if some of their wins are scrappy, such as the 1-0 success over Sheffield United this weekend.”We wanted to create a chance but I think they defended really good,” the 28-year-old told the club’s official website.”We were not at our best to create chances today. We had a few but it was more because they made mistakes.”But all that matters at the end of the day is we have the three points. Especially at the early stage of the season, you have to make sure that you collect as many points as possible because normally during the season you get better and better.”In the beginning of the season you are not at your best, so that’s why it’s good that we collect points.”
Advertisement Facebook Award-winning stage and screen actress Janet Wright, best known for her portrayal of the long-suffering matriarch on “Corner Gas,” has died, according to CTV, which aired the long-running sitcom.Wright played Emma Leroy on the hit Canadian series, which ended its six-season run in 2009 and returned with a big-screen adaptation in 2014.Wright’s character Emma was the wife of Oscar Leroy, played by Eric Peterson, and mother to Brent, portrayed by series creator and star Brent Butt. LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Login/Register With: Advertisement Advertisement Twitter Peterson, who had known Wright for 50 years, said she was “an incredibly, wonderfully complex woman of tremendous strength and intelligence and a wonderful actress.”“She knew a lot about the art of acting and the art of theatre as a director,” Peterson said Monday.“The wonderful thing about her as an actress — especially in something like ‘Corner Gas’ — she brought so much to that part as only Janet could. Even the simplest line, she thoroughly thought it through. She seemed to be able to give a straightforward line that was redolent with meaning. Often my character was the brunt of that redolent meaning too.“I’m just very sad. We’re the same age. One’s reminded how short life is.”In a statement, Butt added “Janet was like no other person I’ve ever met.”“She had a giant wit, a giant heart, and was one of the strongest human beings to ever stride around this planet.”Born in England on March 8, 1945, Wright and her family relocated to Canada and eventually settled in Saskatoon at a young age.Wright was the co-founder of Saskatoon’s Persephone Theatre, and performed at virtually every major theatre company in Canada.She had been affiliated with the Vancouver Arts Club Theater since the early 1970s, and also directed for many major theatre companies across Canada, including productions at Ontario’s Stratford Festival.“Janet was an artist on an uncompromising search for the truth in all its unvarnished beauty,” said Stratford Festival artistic director Antoni Cimolino, who directed Wright as Ma Joad in the 2011 production of “The Grapes of Wrath.”“She was a profoundly talented actress, director and champion for the importance of the arts. I will never forget her passion and forever be inspired by her commitment to our work.”She won the best actress Genie Award in 1992 for “Bordertown Cafe,” and won the best supporting actress in a dramatic program or miniseries award in 2003 for “Betrayed.”Her film credits include “The Perfect Storm,” opposite George Clooney and Mark Wahlberg, and TV appearances on series “Dark Angel,” “The King of Kensington” and “The Beachcombers.by Lauren La Rose, The Canadian Press
Tom FennarioAPTN NewsInuit in Quebec are getting a taste from the province’s $2.5 billion surplus to help keep the cost of living down.The province announced that $115.8 million over six years will be spent to aid the fifteen communities in in Nunavik, located in subarctic Quebec above the 55th parallel.The Agreement on the Financing of Measures to Reduce the Cost of Living in Nunavik itself is not new, but rather a renewal.It is however almost double that of the $33 million over three years of the last agreement.“This is a good example of how the Inuit Territory of Nunavik and the Quebec government can work together to make life in the north affordable,” said Charlie Watt, president of Makivik Corporation, the organization that represents Nunavik Inuit in negotiations with Quebec and Canada.“We have to do a lot more to make life in the great north more equitable with the rest of Quebec.”Much of the money will focus on making hunting more affordable, and in order to encourage a healthier lifestyle, to help Inuit offset grocery costs with country food.“This is really good. It lowers the cost of so many items in stores and even gas prices,” said William Tagoona, communications director for Makivik in an email to APTN News.“Last count the money lowered the cost of about 5,000 items, including food Nutrition North will not cover such as KLIK, hunting clothing such as snow boots, diapers, and snowmobile oil.”Tagoona also adds that often Inuit in Nunavik are forced to choose between paying the rent or buying groceries.According to a study conducted by Laval University, the cost of living is nearly 30 per cent higher in Nunavik.A major reason for this is the remoteness of the region.“Nunavik lies completely outside the major food or commercial distribution networks. The absence of roads and the harsh climate considerably increase the cost of goods and services, which greatly increases the burden that Nunavik families bear,” said Quebec Minister of Indigenous Affairs Sylvie D’Amours in a press release.“The government’s financial assistance is thus essential to maintain and improve living conditions in Nunavik.”In the same press release, Jennifer Munick, president of the Kativik Regional government, the body responsible for providing services on the territory, succinctly described what Thursday’s announcement means to Nunavik.“This program is critical to the well-being of Nunavummiut [Inuit in Nunavik], where many don’t get enough to eat.”firstname.lastname@example.org@tfennario
Former England midfielder John Barnes has urged Chelsea star, Eden Hazard to remain at the club despite interest from Real Madrid.The Spanish giants were reportedly after his services all summer long but with Chelsea refusing to sell, the Belgium captain stayed put at Stamford Bridge.However, with his current deal expiring in the summer of 2020 and his refusal to extend his contract at the club, the Blues might be hoping to cash in on the player should he decide to leave.But Barnes who played for Liverpool during his playing days believes Hazard might be stifled at other big clubs and wouldn’t have the same freedom he enjoys at Chelsea. Barnes told beIN Sports, according to InsideFutbol:“If you see the way Eden Hazard plays – he has 30 to 40 touches with the ball at times, he plays one-twos and he does what he wants.”Premier League Betting: Match-day 5 Stuart Heath – September 14, 2019 Going into the Premier League’s match-day five with a gap already beginning to form at the top of the league. We will take a…“If he goes to Real Madrid, he wouldn’t be able to do that.”“He goes to a club where he would have to fit into a system, as you see what happens with Belgium, which is why they have not gone on to maximise their potential.”“You may say he is possibly the best individual player, but Chelsea are the right club for him because I watched him score a hat-trick and at times you think he should play it simple, but he doesn’t and there are no repercussions on him because they accept that at Chelsea.”“At a Barcelona or Real Madrid, they wouldn’t accept that.”
Juventus midfielder Juan Cuadrado believes that there are still aspects of his own game that he must improveThe Colombia international started as a right wing-back for Juventus in Wednesday night’s Serie A game against Bologna.Goals from Paulo Dybala and Blaise Matuidi inside the opening 16 minutes at Turin enabled Juventus to maintain their 100% winning start to the season after six games.“I am very happy with the team’s overall performance,” Cuadrado told the club website.Juventus confirm Mario Mandzukic could leave this month Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Sporting director Fabio Paratici confirmed reports that Mario Mandzukic could leave Juventus for a move to an unnamed Qatari team.“When we play ball to feet, we’re effective and fun. I think we’ve made a great start to this season and we must keep up the good work.”But the 30-year-old, who gave Cristiano Ronaldo his no.7 jersey in the summer, feels there are aspects of his game that still need work.“As far as my own performance is concerned, I still have room for improvement and, when I attempt one-on-one moves, I must make the most of my characteristics, but I’m working every day to raise my game further.”Juventus will next face title rivals Napoli at the Allianz Stadium in Turin on Saturday.