As promised, the Central Executive Committee of the People’s Progressive Party (PPP) plans to meet today to commence discussions that will lead to the process by which the Party will select its next presidential candidate for the crucial 2020 General and Regional Elections.This was revealed during a press conference on Monday by Party General Secretary Bharrat Jagdeo, who said that the PPP was sticking to its promises.“So tomorrow (today), we will try to set some timeline because we are meeting at the Party level, and we will see whether it makes sense to do it just before or just after the no-confidence motion,” he explained, noting that the 2019 Budget debatePPP General Secretary Bharrat Jagdeothrew the PPP off a bit on deciding on a process.He said that a decision on the presidential nominee would be made shortly. “And you will know our candidate. And we could very well be going to elections in the next three months, not just us,” he added, explaining that that tactic was implicit in the process.Asked whether the charges brought against former PPP/Civic Government Ministers Anil Nandlall and Irfaan Ali would at all impact the decision to name either of the two, the General Secretary responded by saying, “If we allow the A Partnership for National Unity/Alliance For Change to decide who our candidates would be, they will charge every one of our potential candidates.”Jagdeo said the coalition Government’s intention was known, because it has made it known publicly. He said, “It is a pity that people can’t hear some of the conversations in Parliament. But the venom from (Khemraj) Ramjattan and the others saying openly you cannot … don’t talk here … or else the Special Organised Crime Unit (SOCU) will visit you next week …”Jagdeo said he would throw his support behind anyone he found to have the ability to lead the Party to victory at the 2020 elections. Asked again who he would support, the PPP General Secretary said, “You could ask me if I’m supporting anyone and do you think I’ll come at a press conference and say who I am supporting? I’ll discuss that there at Party circles.”He maintained that the Party remained committed to the highest levels of transparency, accountability, and democracy as it undertook the process of selecting its next presidential nominee.Jagdeo said the race for the candidacy was open, as this has been a longstanding practice of the PPP. But reminded that the votes mustered from the 35 Central Committee members will matter in the democratic process. The front-runner will emerge as the candidate.There are several persons who are interested in being the Party’s top candidate including Nandlall, Ali, Gail Teixeira and Dr Frank Anthony.Meanwhile, the no-confidence motion filed against the Government by Jagdeo last month is set to be debated on Friday. Jagdeo had first announced the no-confidence motion on the heels of devastating losses in the Local Government Elections (LGE) for the coalition Government and went ahead to file the motion with the National Assembly on November 15, 2018.The PPP had contended the motion was lodged based on concrete reasons upon which the Guyanese people had rejected the People’s National Congress-led coalition. It pointed to the thousands of jobs that have been lost as a result of the closure of Guyana Sugar Corporation (GuySuCo) estates.In addition, the Party referred to the various scandals that have erupted under the Administration. They include the single sourcing of the feasibility contract for the new Demerara River crossing, the single sourcing of a drug bond and the single sourcing of drug procurement contracts.The Party further noted the numerous breaches of fiscal laws flagged by the Audit Office of Guyana in its reports, as well as the lack of accountability in the D’Urban Park Project, something even the Auditor General had to launch a special probe into.The General Election is constitutionally due in mid-2020.
A tiered system involving relegation and promotion could see the top six teams of each group automatically qualify for the following year’s competition rather than through their domestic leagues, while UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin denied reports games could be played at weekends.“All 20 Premier League clubs today discussed their ‘significant concerns’ regarding reported proposals for changing the format and qualification criteria of UEFA club competitions from season 2024/25,” the Premier League said in a statement.“All clubs unanimously agreed it is inappropriate for European football bodies to create plans that would alter the structures, calendar and competitiveness of the domestic game and will work together to protect the Premier League.”The Premier League is one of the most competitive domestic competitions with its top six of Manchester City, Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham fighting for just four places in the Champions League every season.All six are still involved in European competition this season, with City, United, Liverpool and Tottenham in next week’s Champions League quarter-finals, and Arsenal and Chelsea in the Europa League last eight.– Opposition –However, it is believed leading clubs on the continent are seeking change to combat the Premier League’s advantage over its European competitors from more lucrative TV rights deals.“In England, football plays an important role in our culture and everyday life,” the statement added.“Millions of fans attend matches across the country, with allegiances and local rivalries often passed down through generations. We have a fantastic combination of competitive football and committed fans that we will vigorously defend.”The Premier League are not alone in standing up to the proposals, with senior officials in the Spanish and German leagues also stating their disapproval.On Friday Lars-Christer Olsson, the president of the European Leagues body which represents domestic competitions across the continent, said that there was “unanimous” opposition to the reforms.“Our major objective is to safeguard the domestic competitions and protect them,” Olsson said at the organisation’s annual general meeting in Lisbon.“We have decided to invite all club members of our leagues to a meeting in Madrid on May 6-7, to discuss how they would like to see the development of professional club football in Europe.”On Wednesday multiple sources told AFP that Ceferin and Olsson would meet on May 8 to discuss the proposed changes that were reportedly put to UEFA last month by Juventus chairman Andrea Agnelli, head of the European Club Association (ECA) which represents the continent’s biggest teams.The reforms are also set to be discussed by UEFA’s Club Competitions Committee on May 14.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Zinedine Zidane’s Real Madrid won the 2018 Champions League © AFP/File / GENYA SAVILOVLONDON, United Kingdom, Apr 5 – The Premier League voiced “significant concerns” over potential reforms to the Champions League on Friday, saying the changes would damage the thriving domestic game.Reported reforms being put forward for further discussion include changing the current group stage from eight groups of four to four groups of eight, guaranteeing clubs far more Champions League games from 2024.