Camp Notes: Tommy DeVito, Chris Elmore detail decision to not opt out

first_img Published on August 11, 2020 at 3:30 pm Contact Adam: adhillma@syr.edu | @_adamhillman “Talking to coaches, teammates, family and friends, I felt like I wanted to post something,” DeVito said. “I wasn’t sure exactly what I wanted to do, so I took a couple days and got my thoughts together. I don’t want to say I (do or don’t) want to play because there’s guys on the team that do and don’t.”Defensive lineman Cooper Dawson has already decided to sit out the 2020 season, and head coach Dino Babers said Aug. 6 that other players are contemplating whether to opt-out. Elmore and DeVito have fully committed to playing in the upcoming season. Other players, even those who don’t plan to opt out, hold similar concerns. The team’s leadership council — which DeVito is a member of — presented Babers with a list of topics before the first day of training camp on Aug. 6. Players didn’t practice that day, instead holding team meetings, some of which included Director of Athletics John Wildhack. Elmore elaborated on the decision to not practice Aug. 6, citing concerns about playing against other schools that may not be testing as much as Syracuse. DeVito also confirmed that the decision was related to COVID-19.“We know what we’re doing on our end,” Elmore said. “Guys are worried about going down somewhere else, and their testing protocols might not be the same as ours. They might have a guy who might be on the field with (COVID-19) and we contract this somehow where we come back and now it’s on the team.” The decision to host Liberty as the Orange’s lone nonconference opponent was not a part of the discussion, Elmore said. Liberty is not requiring students to be tested for COVID-19 when returning to campus, according to a proposed operations plan submitted to the Virginia state government for approval in July. The school also stayed open in April, even after Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam instituted a stay-at-home order. But for now, all the Orange are preparing as if they’ll travel to Chapel Hill in a month for their season-opener, even as other conferences around the country begin to cancel. Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ The Daily Orange is a nonprofit newsroom that receives no funding from Syracuse University. Consider donating today to support our mission.The media won’t have access to Syracuse’s training camp practices this year due to the coronavirus pandemic. Instead, the football team is organizing regular Zoom interviews with head coach Dino Babers and select players while also providing film from the Ensley Athletic Center. With “Camp Notes,” The Daily Orange’s beat reporters bring the latest news, observations and analysis as the Orange gear up for an unprecedented 2020 season. Follow along here and on Twitter.Only a few months before the season, Chris Elmore was undecided about playing for Syracuse in 2020. The risks were obvious: the long-term effects of COVID-19 are unknown. Elmore could play, but he might become severely ill. He could opt out, but he wouldn’t have the opportunity for a strong season that reaches the radars of NFL scouts.“I was just like, ‘ah, is this something I really want to go through, especially my last year?’” Elmore, a senior defensive lineman and tight end, said during a virtual press conference Aug 11. “Just talking it over with my family, we’re all for it until I can’t play no more.”AdvertisementThis is placeholder text“(My decision) was really just thinking about what would I do. I would be going home. Right now, going home really isn’t an option for me.”For quarterback Tommy DeVito, the decision to play this season wasn’t as complicated. Despite an ESPN report that multiple Big Ten players who had previously tested positive for COVID-19 are now experiencing myocarditis — a rare heart condition — the redshirt junior confirmed that he’s “here to play,” and that nothing would change his mind. DeVito said Monday in a statement on Twitter that the Orange are “ready for whatever comes next” — whether that be a full season, postponement to the spring or cancellation entirely. He’s spoken with other players in the Atlantic Coast Conference, asking about their protocols and how their coaches were approaching practices, he said Tuesday.last_img read more

Bong Galanza learns lesson from botched final play in NLEX loss

first_imgNorthPort ‘gave up in the last 5 minutes’ vs Rain or Shine Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil LATEST STORIES Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Japeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for Ginebra Philippine Army to acquire MANPADS, self-propelled howitzers Tom Brady most dominant player in AFC championship history Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. “I think the block had a purpose, to help me prepare myself in case I get tasked to take the game-winner I’d be able to hit it.”Galanza said the play was supposed to set up Poy Erram underneath and let him operate within the last 2.3 seconds of game time but Phoenix was able to read the scheme after Justin Chua deliberately stepped on the sideline to get a delay of game infraction.Erram was pinned down in the crowded paint and JR Quiñahan had no choice but to throw it to the open Galanza at the top of the key only for Abueva to make the swat.Galanza, who’s been receiving more than 24 minutes of playing time due to the absence of the suspended Kiefer Ravena and the injured Kevin Alas, was drafted 46th overall in the 2015 PBA Rookie Draft stayed for two years with the Kia franchise before getting cut and playing for a Batangas club in another professional league in 2018.This type of backstory was what fueled Galanza to prove his worth and he vowed that he could knock down a game-winner in the future.ADVERTISEMENT Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title He only needed to make that last gasp three to win the game for the Road Warriors.  Instead, he was on the receiving end of a Calvin Abueva block that in turn preserved the Fuel Masters’ 83-82 victory.Galanza, who went in and out of the from 2016 to present, had a solid outing for the undermanned Road Warriors with 12 points on 5-of-10 shooting and everything could’ve gone perfectly if not for Abueva’s game-winning denial.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissSPORTSCoronation night?SPORTSThirdy Ravena gets‍‍‍ offers from Asia, Australian ball clubsThe University of the East alum, however, did not dwell on the negativity of the botched play and instead looked at it as a way to get better as a player.“Ever since I was in UE I’ve been involved in late-game plays and I also had chances to win the game and unfortunately I also have last shots that didn’t go in,” said Galanza in Filipino Friday at Mall of Asia Arena. MANILA, Philippines—Bong Galanza could’ve been the unlikely savior for NLEX against Phoenix Friday night in the 2019 PBA Philippine Cup.ADVERTISEMENT In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ “Nothing’s impossible, you just have to believe,” said Galanza. “I just have to work on those kinds of situations so when the time comes I have more confidence that I can make the shot.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? Phivolcs: Slim probability of Taal Volcano caldera eruption Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college MOST READ View commentslast_img read more