‘Opening up Test not in West Indies’s best interest’

first_imgSYDNEY, Australia (CMC): West Indies captain Jason Holder says he rejected a proposal from his opposite number Steve Smith to open up the third and final Test with a dramatic last-day run chase, because he did not believe such a scenario was in the best interest of the team’s development. With rain allowing just 68 deliveries on day two and forcing the abandonment of the third and fourth days, the Test was predictably headed for a draw when play finally resumed on Thursday’s final day at the Sydney Cricket Ground. The proposal would have seen West Indies declaring at their overnight 248 for seven, Australia then forfeiting their first innings, allowing the visitors to rattle up 121 off seven overs and then attempting to chase down 370 off 70 overs for victory. “He came to us and made an offer. I just went back to the team and we thought at this stage of our development, it wasn’t the best thing for us,” Holder told a media conference following the drawn contest. “We had (Denesh) Ramdin, who was scoring well and looking well, so [we decided to] give him the encouragement to go out there and build an innings and build some confidence. “We set out at the beginning of the series to make sure to bat 90 overs each time we batted and get past the 300 mark. That was one of the things that we wanted to achieve today and we achieved that.” Holder said with the disappointing series the Windies had experienced Down Under, it was more important for them to achieve team goals. “It was a team vote and a team decision. We started in Hobart and we didn’t play well at all there. We showed improvement in Melbourne, and we just had to come here to improve as well.”I think we just need to take it step by step; it’s not a case where you can just jump from losing Test matches to winning in one transition, especially against good opposition like Australia.” Australia won the series 2-0 after victories in Hobart and Melbourne in the first two Tests.last_img read more

Facebook Surpasses Google Microsoft in Terms of Employee Profit

first_img(Image Courtesy:) Advertisement Facebook has leapfrogged Microsoft and Google’s parent company Alphabet in securing maximum profit per employee in the second quarter of 2017 while Twitter suffered a hefty loss.Facebook, which employed 20,658 persons in the past quarter – a 43 percent increase over the same period last year – made USD$188,498 (Roughly 682 million UGX) per employee, according to a report in ReCode.Microsoft made USD$52,400 (Roughly 189.5 million UGX) and Alphabet USD$46,610 (Roughly 168.7 million UGX) per employee – four times less profit per employee than social media giant Facebook – in the three months that ended on June 30. – Advertisement – Verizon, AT&T and Ford followed with USD$27,405 (Roughly 99 million UGX), USD$15,410 (Roughly 55.7 million UGX) and USD$10,098 (Roughly 36.5 million) per employee respectively.Twitter, which saw a net loss of USD$116 million last quarter, lost nearly USD$36,000 per employee.The reason for Facebook’s efficiency is that software products do not require humans for the production and distribution process.The research that was restricted to select major companies that have reported their employee count in their latest quarterly earnings, did not include Apple as they do not have a quarterly updated headcount.credit: NDTV newslast_img read more