No separate national flag or constitution for Nagas, says interlocutor

first_imgThe Centre will conclude the Naga peace process by October 31 and there will be no separate national flag or constitution for the Nagas, interlocutor R.N. Ravi told The Hindu.Accusing National Socialist Council of Nagaland (Isak-Muivah) [NSCN-IM] of delaying the talks, Mr. Ravi said, “Endless negotiation under the shadow of guns is not acceptable.”Mr. Ravi said the NSCN-IM, with which the Centre signed a framework agreement on August 3, 2015 to find a solution to the Naga issue, had adopted a “procrastinating attitude to delay the settlement, raising the contentious symbolic issues of separate Naga national flag and constitution.”Mr. Ravi, who is also Nagaland’s Governor, said the Naga political movement belongs to the Naga people and the civil society groups had given their opinion clearly. He said a “mutually agreed draft comprehensive settlement, including all the substantive issues and competencies, is ready for inking the final agreement”, and it has the blessings of the Church.Also Read Tribal groups push for early settlement of Naga political issue Details of 2015 Naga agreement emerge  Mr. Ravi shared the details of the 2015 framework agreement signed with NSCN-IM and the 2017 agreement signed with the armed Naga National Political Groups (NNPGs) with the delegation on Friday.“The two agreements do not mention any separate flag or constitution for the Nagas… NSCN-IM has been misleading and lying to the people. It only talks of power sharing. I read out the details in front of the civil society groups, they have made up their mind to conclude the process,” Mr. Ravi said.A statement issued by Mr. Ravi’s office said, “Political maturity and wisdom of the Naga leaders who expressed their overwhelming support in favour of a settlement without any further delay is deeply appreciated. Respecting the Naga people’s wishes, the Government of India is determined to conclude the Peace Process without delay. Endless negotiation under the shadow of guns is not acceptable.”NSCN-IM has been fighting for ‘Greater Nagaland’ or Nagalim — it wants to extend Nagaland’s borders by including Naga-dominated areas in neighbouring Assam, Manipur and Arunachal Pradesh — to unite 1.2 million Nagas. Centre has said there will be no disintegration of Assam, Arunachal Pradesh and Manipur to merge the Naga inhabited areas with the existing State of Nagaland.  “Naga people are represented by their traditional tribal apex bodies, village headmen, civil society groups etc…. they have collectively taken a decision for the first time on one platform. We have a written endorsement from them to go ahead and conclude the peace process,” Mr. Ravi said.Asked if the peace deal would be signed without the NSCN-IM, Mr. Ravi said, “I would expect that since the Nagas have expressed their voice, the NSCN should heed the voice.”Details sharedOn Friday, Mr. Ravi held detailed consultations for over three hours with the apex leadership of all the 14 Naga tribes of Nagaland, all the minority non-Naga tribes of Nagaland, the Nagaland GB Federation, the Nagaland Tribes Council, the Church leaders and civil society organizations in Kohima.Also Readlast_img read more

‘Vote! Love! Support PBA,’ among signs borne by ‘Spider-Man’

first_imgSports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next MOST READ “It’s not my intention to hurt anyone. My message is about spreading love so why would I even go out there and hurt [June Mar]?”Felizarta, who was yet to be identified at that time, told league Commissioner Willie Marcial that he decided to make a statement “because it’s the elections.”He said that he had been doing stunts like this “since 2010” and that he is running a charity.“I think this is the only chance for us to get things right,” Felizarta explained in Filipino.Two more men were captured by venue security who were later identified as Flenn Lola and Rayahn Paredes.ADVERTISEMENT Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting MANILA, Philippines—The costumed spectator who disrupted Game 5 of the PBA Philippine Cup Finals between San Miguel and Magnolia on Friday night at Araneta Coliseum will be facing multiple charges, the Inquirer learned late Friday night.PSSG Oliver Bocade of Quezon City Police Department’s Station 7 said that 31-year-old Paolo Felizarta is facing charges on the grounds of unjust vexation, and alarm and scandal after entering the playing court which caused a fracas late in the game.ADVERTISEMENT View comments Bocade, who is the case investigator, said that Felizarta, who was donning the costume of “Spider-Man” simply wanted to send across a message, which was “to be wise in this coming election.”Felizarta, who hails from Imus, Cavite, streaked onto the court at the 3:06 mark of the final period, bearing a sign.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logisticsHe ran into Beermen center Fajardo and collided with Christian Standhardinger before he was eventually caught by members of the Araneta’s security and was dragged into the coliseum tunnel where he was unmasked and asked about his objective.“I just want us to love each other. That’s it,” Felizarta told reporters in Filipino. “I couldn’t clearly see through the mask. I’m sorry. SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte Hontiveros presses for security audit of national power grid PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. LATEST STORIES Paredes hit Lola under the assumption that the latter was in cahoots with Felizarta. All three were brought to QCPD’s Station 7 later that night.Fajardo, who was shaken after the collision, told reporters after the game that his jaw continued to hurt. Though he said that he won’t be pressing charges against Felizarta as “no one was seriously harmed.”Recovered from Felizarta were at least 10 neon-green signs. Some of them read “Peace for the Philippines,” “Vote! Love!” and “Support PBA.”Felizarta is expected to be detained until next week as his processing his case could start on Tuesday the earliest due to the weekend and the midterm elections set on Monday. Bocade also noted that it usually takes three days for cases to be raffled to a municipal court.Bocade said Felizarta could post bail. The amount, though, will be determined by a fiscal.“In our experience, minor offenses like this would set someone back by P2,000,” he told the Inquirer.Felizarta was eventually joined by his younger brother and cousin, who both asked not to be named. The pair said they had no prior knowledge of Felizarta’s plans to disrupt the game and stressed that he is different from the “Bicolanong Spiderman” whose charity work is documented in the internet.They said that they are considering on suing San Miguel’s Ronald Tubid, who in the Inquirer’s footage could be seen throwing a punch to the back of Felizarta’s head.The Inquirer tried to ask Felizarta for further comment to which he begged off from. Panelo: Duterte ‘angry’ with SEA Games hosting hassles Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess Ethel Booba twits Mocha over 2 toilets in one cubicle at SEA Games venue Philippine Arena Interchange inaugurated DA eyes importing ‘galunggong’ anew At the buzzer!last_img read more