Owen signs for Stoke

first_imgFormer England striker Michael Owen has joined Stoke City on a free transfer, subject to Premier League Board approval, the club announced Tuesday.Owen, who made his name at Liverpool before joining Real Madrid, has signed a one-year deal following his release from Stoke’s Premier League rivals Manchester United at the end of last season.He has enjoyed an impressive career, scoring 221 goals in 473 appearances.But the 32-year-old’s career has been blighted by a series of injury problems and he has started just one Premier League match in the last two seasons.And it is that fitness record which has led to reports, still to be confirmed by Stoke, that he has signed on a pay-as-you play deal.Although he was also linked with Liverpool and Sunderland, Owen insisted Tuesday he was “always keen to join” Tony Pulis’ side. After signing a one-year contract, he posted on Twitter: “Delighted to have signed for Stoke subject to Premier League approval.“We have been in talks for a while and it was a club I was always keen to join.“I’m particularly excited at the prospect of working under Tony Pulis.“He has assembled a great squad that I look forward to joining.“I’m now looking forward to contributing as much as possible to the club and can’t wait to play in front of a great set of supporters. “Thanks for your kind messages everyone. Can’t wait to get going again!”Clubs are able to sign free agents outside the transfer window but are only able to field them in the Premier League if they have previously registered fewer than 25 players.The Premier League said in a statement Tuesday: “The Premier League board is currently considering an application from Stoke City to register a player and, subsequently, their squad list will be confirmed at a later date.”Owen is set to becomes City’s seventh signing of the summer, following the arrivals of Jamie Ness, Geoff Cameron, Michael Kightly, Maurice Edu, Charlie Adam and Steven N’Zonzi.For England, Owen scored 40 goals in 89 appearances, including a hat-trick against Germany in a 5-1 victory just over a decade ago. – AFPlast_img read more

Vin Scully: ‘I honestly don’t belong’ in the World Series broadcast booth

first_imgFox is broadcasting the World Series, starting Tuesday and Wednesday at Dodger Stadium.Fox play-by-play man Joe Buck said Friday about a Scully appearance: “I swear on my late father, to have Vin come do some of the series with us and in my place would be an honor. If someone can hypnotize him and make him say ‘yes,’ I will drive and pick him up myself. He knows I feel this way, as does Fox and he continues to say no, unfortunately.”After Thursday’s Game 5, Scully posed for a photo with his wife and daughter Cat celebrating the Dodgers’ advancing to the World Series with a photo Cat tweeted out. A couple of fan-based online petitions have already launched trying to coax the soon-to-be 90-year-old back in some capacity after he served 67 years as the voice of the Dodgers. “Bring Back Vin Scully to Call the World Series” is one at GoPetition.com; “Bring Vin Scully back for the World Series 2017” is at ThePetitionSite.com.Going back to 2014, Scully has resisted overtures to be part of national broadcast spotlight games. As he said about a ’14 All-Star game appearance: “To be honest, I’m not interested in doing it any more. I’ve done enough of them. I’d feel like an intruder, really.”Scully also declined last fall to rescind his retirement on the final day of the regular season to join the radio-only Dodgers’ broadcast team during the playoffs. Scully does have a public appearance planned soon: The Distinguished Speakers Series of Southern California, which had him tour four locations last March, has an encore performance for Scully on Nov. 4 in Pasadena. For those who continue to wonder, ask and perhaps even beg: No, Vin Scully has no desire to be part of any sort of broadcast of the Dodgers’ upcoming World Series.“I honestly don’t feel I belong there and I would not want anyone to think I was eager for a spotlight,” the retired Hall of Fame broadcaster said via email Friday morning.Scully, who has made several early appearances at Dodger Stadium in a private suite during the National League Division Series and Championship Series,  often seen with his wife Sandi, added that he is “trying to keep a low profile” this postseason when asked about media interview requests. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Errorlast_img read more