SYDNEY, Australia (CMC): West Indies captain Jason Holder says he rejected a proposal from his opposite number Steve Smith to open up the third and final Test with a dramatic last-day run chase, because he did not believe such a scenario was in the best interest of the team’s development. With rain allowing just 68 deliveries on day two and forcing the abandonment of the third and fourth days, the Test was predictably headed for a draw when play finally resumed on Thursday’s final day at the Sydney Cricket Ground. The proposal would have seen West Indies declaring at their overnight 248 for seven, Australia then forfeiting their first innings, allowing the visitors to rattle up 121 off seven overs and then attempting to chase down 370 off 70 overs for victory. “He came to us and made an offer. I just went back to the team and we thought at this stage of our development, it wasn’t the best thing for us,” Holder told a media conference following the drawn contest. “We had (Denesh) Ramdin, who was scoring well and looking well, so [we decided to] give him the encouragement to go out there and build an innings and build some confidence. “We set out at the beginning of the series to make sure to bat 90 overs each time we batted and get past the 300 mark. That was one of the things that we wanted to achieve today and we achieved that.” Holder said with the disappointing series the Windies had experienced Down Under, it was more important for them to achieve team goals. “It was a team vote and a team decision. We started in Hobart and we didn’t play well at all there. We showed improvement in Melbourne, and we just had to come here to improve as well.”I think we just need to take it step by step; it’s not a case where you can just jump from losing Test matches to winning in one transition, especially against good opposition like Australia.” Australia won the series 2-0 after victories in Hobart and Melbourne in the first two Tests.
zoom Chilean port, towage and logistics services provider SAAM has announced plans to invest a total of USD 133.5 million this year.The company intends to invest USD 85 million in maintenance and extension of its current assets – San Antonio Terminal Internacional, Terminal Portuario Guayaquil and San Vicente Terminal Internacional.SAAM materialized the acquisition of two concessions in Puerto Caldera, the second largest port in Costa Rica, for USD 48.5 million. The company now controls 51% of Sociedad Portuaria de Caldera (SPC) and of Sociedad Portuaria Granelera de Caldera (SPGC), whose transferred annual volume totals 5.5 million tons.In the past four years, the company has invested a total of USD 500 million in equipment and infrastructure.In 2016, SAAM’s earnings amounted to USD 54.5 million, representing a 5.6% growth.“Thanks to our portfolio diversification and adequate commercial strategy, we recorded a good performance during difficult times for the industry. We offset the drop in markets like Brazil, Mexico, and particularly Chile, and strengthened others such as Peru and Central America. We keep a significant cash flow and dividends for our shareholders,” Felipe Joannon, the company’s Chairman of the Board, said.Last year, SAAM inaugurated the new dock in San Vicente Terminal Internacional, Chile, which increased its capacity by 40%. Additionally, the company inaugurated a system for the reception, warehousing and shipping of mineral concentrates in Terminal Internacional del Sur, Peru. SAAM also completed the tugboat fleet renovation process.Furthermore, Joannon drew attention on “a cautious assessment” of the need for a mega port in the central zone.“The current port infrastructure, with the construction of new terminals in San Antonio and Valparaíso and the ongoing extensions, ensure enough capacity to support foreign trade efficiently in the next 10 to 15 years. We believe that the current priority is to significantly improve the terminals’ connectivity and complementary infrastructure”, he added.