West Point Shooting Investigation Report Now Before the President

first_imgThe Minister of Information, Culture and Tourism, Lewis G. Brown,  has disclosed that the Board of Inquiry set up to investigate the death of little Shaki Kamara has finally submitted the report to the President through the Minister of National Defense, Brownie Samukai.Speaking at the Ministry’s weekly press briefing yesterday on Capitol Hill in Monrovia, Minister Brown said the report contained appropriate recommendations and facts relating to the death of Shaki Kamara during the West Point’s riot with state security.According to the government spokesman, the President, Ellen Johnson Sirleaf will consider all the recommendations and facts of the report and have it published.“We are convinced that all the recommendations and facts are available in the report of Shaki Kamara’s death, submitted by the Board of Inquiry, who have properly handled the process with care and concerned.”The President, Minister Brown said, has promised keenly to review the report, especially the recommendations and facts provided by the Board of Inquiry.“We want to assure the public that in the shortest  possible time the report of late Shaki Kamara will be released, including the cause of his death and the recommendations made by the Board,” Minister Brown said.He explained that, the report was made available to the President through the office of the Defense Minister, who is also member of the Board of Inquiry on the death of young Kamara, which occurred on August 20, 2014.According to Mr. Browne,  the report contained the facts, which led to the shooting incident in West Point on August 20 by state security, and established all the possible recommendations.Meanwhile, Minister Brown has disclosed that at the end of September,  the Liberia National Police (LNP) and the Bureau of Immigration and Naturalization (BIN)  will replace the Armed Forces of Liberia (AFL) at all borders and checkpoints.He explained that, “The Armed Forces of Liberia (AFL) will complete its  withdrawal by the 30th of September from all the checkpoints.  They will be replaced at the border points by BIN officers and other places by our LNP officers.”Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Teen mechanic killed in Mandela Avenue accident

first_imgA 17-year-old mechanic is now dead after a motor car struck him around 20:40h on Saturday while he was attempting to cross Mandela Avenue, Georgetown.Police investigations, so far, have revealed that motor car PRR 7624 was proceeding east along Mandela Avenue when pedestrian Jhamallie Miles wasAccident victim: 17-year-old Jhamille Milesattempting to cross the road. Miles, who was wearing dark coloured clothing, reportedly dashed in front of the vehicle resulting in the accident. He was rushed to the Georgetown Public Hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival.The Police said that the 35-year-old driver, Lennox De Nobrega of Church Street, Georgetown was in custody assisting with investigations. It is reported that De Nobrega’s blood alcohol limit was 0.22 per cent, which was below the legal limit.Miles’s mother, Yonette Ridley, said that she received a call around 22:34h Saturday informing her that her son has been in an accident and has been rushed to the Georgetown Public Hospital.“My friend call me and tell me that Jhamille was in an accident and that they rush him to the hospital and that I should hurry up and come to the hospital. When I get there, they tell me that my child is already dead and then they take him to the mortuary and tell me to come back tomorrow (Monday) for a post-mortem,” Ridley said.She added that she was informed that the driver was in custody at the Ruimveldt Police Station and ventured there to investigate and “get answers”.“The driver told the Police that he did not see my son and was trying to overtake another car when he knock him down. The Police said that they have to wait on the post-mortem before they can do anything else,” the grieving mother said.Ridley told Guyana Times Miles came home earlier in the evening and got dressed to head out with his friends. He leaves to mourn his mother and four siblings.Police investigations are ongoing.last_img read more