Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) needs to better reflect the dairy-farm incomes lost to tariff retaliation when it calculates its next round of trade mitigation payments, the said today.In a letter sent Tuesday to Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue, National Milk Producers Federation Chairman and dairy farmer Randy Mooney cited four studies illustrating that milk producers have experienced more than $1 billion in lost income since May, when the retaliatory tariffs were first placed on dairy goods in response to U.S. levies on foreign products. In contrast, the first round of USDA trade mitigation payments, announced in August, allocated only $127 million to dairy farmers.“We are ever-grateful for your advocacy on agricultural trade, which is crucial to the economic health of our industry,” wrote Mooney, who operates Mooney Dairy in Rogersville, Missouri, with his wife, Jan. “However, our members are greatly concerned about the level of aid that was provided in the initial effort.”The letter details four analyses, including two independent studies using sophisticated economic modeling, that each show losses to dairy producers far above USDA’s initial payment level.NMPF analyzed the CME dairy futures-based milk prices through the end of 2018, based on the settlement prices in late May, just before retaliatory tariffs were announced, with those same prices after tariffs had been thoroughly incorporated into market expectations. The expected impact of the retaliation may result in roughly $1.5 billion in lost revenue for producers during the second half of 2018.USDA’s own monthly World Agricultural Supply and Demand Estimates (WASDE) showed a drop in its forecast milk prices for the full 2018 calendar year of $0.70/cwt., after the imposition of the tariffs. The WASDE estimate amounts to a loss in dairy farm income of $1.5 billion for the year.An Informa Agribusiness Consulting study estimated that the tariffs would lower U.S. dairy farm income by $1.5 billion for the full year 2018.The Center for North American Studies at Texas A&M University, estimated an annual loss of $1.17 billion.“These estimates show that farmer losses from the tariffs will notably exceed $1 billion in 2018,” Mooney wrote. “Significant income losses will continue” if tariffs imposed by Mexico and China — two of the largest dairy export markets for the United States — remain in place.Perdue has said a second trade mitigation payment to producers may be made this year, after additional calculations of farmer losses.“We are eager to work with you on a plan that better reflects the struggles dairy producers across the country have faced due to the tariffs,” Mooney wrote. “Thank you for considering the critical implications of these trade challenges for us as dairy farmers and cooperative owners.”
Facebook is Becoming Less Personal and More Pro… The Israeli mobile startup Snaptu confirmed on its blog today that it has been acquired by Facebook. The terms of the deal weren’t disclosed for Facebook’s first acquisition outside the U.S., but the sum was pegged at $70 million.Snaptu builds applications for feature phones, and the startup worked with Facebook to develop its feature phone app, released at the beginning of this year. That app expanded Facebook’s mobile app availability beyond just smart phone users, bringing a Facebook app to over 2500 different mobile devices.Expanding to New (Mobile) MarketsThe acquisition of Snaptu is an interesting move for Facebook, indicating perhaps its plan to expand to new markets via new mobile markets – as the company continues on its trek towards 1 billion users. The feature phone app built by Snaptu was one part of that, as it followed Facebook’s launch of Facebook 0 last year, a site where users in certain countries could go to visit Facebook and incur no data charges.Making mobile apps available beyond the smart phone may be crucial to gaining new users as not-so-smart phones still make up around 75% of the mobile phone market. By making itself easily accessible via feature phones, Facebook is opening itself to those who might otherwise have the resources to visit the site. Mobile Facebook Users are Active UsersFacebook says that more than 200 million users currently access the site through mobile apps. But here’s a more important stat, perhaps: Facebook says that people that use Facebook on their mobile devices are twice as active on Facebook than non-mobile users. That makes a resource like Snaptu important for helping Facebook make itself the central social hub for all mobile phone users, not just iPhone or Android owners.The acquisition of Snaptu is the latest in a string of mobile startups that Facebook has picked up recently, having acquired the group messaging app Beluga earlier this month and the local mobile advertising startup Rel8tion in late January.Image credits: Paul Butler Guide to Performing Bulk Email Verification Related Posts audrey watters The Dos and Don’ts of Brand Awareness Videos Tags:#Facebook#web A Comprehensive Guide to a Content Audit
Chiddi Sharma, a farmer in Ading village of Mathura, has received 1 paisa or ₹00.01 as part of the U.P. government’s flagship crop loan waiver scheme, which promises a relief of up to ₹1 lakh to the 86 lakh farmers in the State. Mr. Sharma, one of the many farmers who have been given waivers of minuscule amounts, says his is the “cruellest joke” as no one in the State has been paid 1 paise as relief for losses running into lakhs.‘Blessing for farmers’Announced in April this year, a month after Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath came to power in U.P., the ₹36,000-crore ‘Rin Mochan Yojana’ had come as a blessing for debt-ridden farmers of the State. Even as the Adityanath government competed six months, Mr. Sharma got a message on his phone from Punjab National Bank on Sunday that he had got a loan waiver of 1 paisa as part of the flagship scheme.When The Hindu met the 52-year-old farmer in his humble one-room house,Mr. Sharma was visibly angry. “I had distributed sweets in April when Yogiji announced the loan waiver. I had taken loan of ₹1.55 lakh from the Punjab National Bank six years ago, but could not repay it that due to repeated losses in farming. Today I do not know whether to laugh or cry. Many leaders have played with the emotions of the farmers, but this one by Yogiji is the cruellest of them all,” said Mr. Sharma who owns five bighas of land and comes under the category of “marginal farmer”. Waiver certificate“Since the day Yogiji announced the ₹1-lakh loan waiver scheme, I had only been thinking about it. I don’t know what to say now. The six-month wait has resulted in 1 paisa in my account,” Mr. Sharma said, waving the loan waiver certificate embossed with the photos of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chief Minister Adityanath, with the slogan “har kadam kisanon ke saath (with farmers in their every step)” running under them.“I don’t want to speak much but what is the point of advertising ₹36000 crore. How come other farmers in Mathura who took almost the same amount as me and who were in a similar situation, got the full waiver of ₹1 lakh,” asked Mr. Sharma, flanked by his son Banwarilal Sharma and his two sons. Since the news of 1-paisa loan waiver broke, Mr. Sharma has been receiving hordes of journalists and photographers at his home.The media attention is also proving to be a pocket pinch for the family, said Banwarilal Sharma who had spent over ₹100 on tea and snacks for the reporters visiting them.Opposition fumesWhile there are many beneficiaries of the loan waiver scheme who have got a relief as low as 40 paisa, no one else in the State has a certificate that matches the 1-paisa laon waiver to Mr. Sharma. His case has already given ammunition to the Opposition leaders in the State. Former Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav tweeted on Monday: “Bhool chukey jo apna sankalp patra, shweta patra unka bahana hai (The white paper is an excuse for those who have forgotten their poll promises)”.Two-account theoryThe district manager of PNB bank, P.K. Singh, said that a case like that of Chiddi Sharma may have happened because of two accounts in the same bank. “Under the scheme those accounts of farmers ended up getting selected in which the money was either repaid or there was a meagre loan amount left,” said Mr. Singh. But Mr. Sharma said he never had two accounts in PNB, so there was no chance of any confusion. Probe orderedThe district officials of Mathura have ordered a probe into Mr. Sharma’s case. ADM Mathura Sadanand Gupta told Mr. Sharma that it was a mistake on part of PNB and directed the bank officials to issue a new certificate. The District Magistrate of Mathura, Arvind Malappa, told The Hindu, “I looked at the case of of Chiddi Sharma and it seems that it happened due to some technical error which we are trying to sort out.”
The Centre will conclude the Naga peace process by October 31 and there will be no separate national flag or constitution for the Nagas, interlocutor R.N. Ravi told The Hindu.Accusing National Socialist Council of Nagaland (Isak-Muivah) [NSCN-IM] of delaying the talks, Mr. Ravi said, “Endless negotiation under the shadow of guns is not acceptable.”Mr. Ravi said the NSCN-IM, with which the Centre signed a framework agreement on August 3, 2015 to find a solution to the Naga issue, had adopted a “procrastinating attitude to delay the settlement, raising the contentious symbolic issues of separate Naga national flag and constitution.”Mr. Ravi, who is also Nagaland’s Governor, said the Naga political movement belongs to the Naga people and the civil society groups had given their opinion clearly. He said a “mutually agreed draft comprehensive settlement, including all the substantive issues and competencies, is ready for inking the final agreement”, and it has the blessings of the Church.Also Read Tribal groups push for early settlement of Naga political issue Details of 2015 Naga agreement emerge Mr. Ravi shared the details of the 2015 framework agreement signed with NSCN-IM and the 2017 agreement signed with the armed Naga National Political Groups (NNPGs) with the delegation on Friday.“The two agreements do not mention any separate flag or constitution for the Nagas… NSCN-IM has been misleading and lying to the people. It only talks of power sharing. I read out the details in front of the civil society groups, they have made up their mind to conclude the process,” Mr. Ravi said.A statement issued by Mr. Ravi’s office said, “Political maturity and wisdom of the Naga leaders who expressed their overwhelming support in favour of a settlement without any further delay is deeply appreciated. Respecting the Naga people’s wishes, the Government of India is determined to conclude the Peace Process without delay. Endless negotiation under the shadow of guns is not acceptable.”NSCN-IM has been fighting for ‘Greater Nagaland’ or Nagalim — it wants to extend Nagaland’s borders by including Naga-dominated areas in neighbouring Assam, Manipur and Arunachal Pradesh — to unite 1.2 million Nagas. Centre has said there will be no disintegration of Assam, Arunachal Pradesh and Manipur to merge the Naga inhabited areas with the existing State of Nagaland. “Naga people are represented by their traditional tribal apex bodies, village headmen, civil society groups etc…. they have collectively taken a decision for the first time on one platform. We have a written endorsement from them to go ahead and conclude the peace process,” Mr. Ravi said.Asked if the peace deal would be signed without the NSCN-IM, Mr. Ravi said, “I would expect that since the Nagas have expressed their voice, the NSCN should heed the voice.”Details sharedOn Friday, Mr. Ravi held detailed consultations for over three hours with the apex leadership of all the 14 Naga tribes of Nagaland, all the minority non-Naga tribes of Nagaland, the Nagaland GB Federation, the Nagaland Tribes Council, the Church leaders and civil society organizations in Kohima.Also Read
00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsThis week the San Diego City Council rejected a proposal to increase salaries for the Mayor and Council Members in 2020.Local Attorney Bob Ottilie joined KUSI’s Sandra Maas & Allen Denton to explain why the proposal was shutdown. City Council rejects proposal for salary increases KUSI Newsroom, March 21, 2018 KUSI Newsroom Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter Posted: March 21, 2018 Updated: 6:06 PM
Dhaka South City Corporation (DSCC) mayor Sayeed Khokon on Thursday said beef prices will come down if extortion can be reined in at Gabtoli cattle market, reports UNB.”Beef prices will decrease even to a little extent if extortion at Gabtoli cattle market can be stopped,” he said while talking to reporters after visiting Hatirpool kitchen market in the afternoon.Sayeed Khokon said digital boards for displaying price list will be installed at 21 kitchen markets under the DSCC so that the price list can be updated from the Nagar Bhaban directly without visiting markets.Mentioning that they were carrying out the monitoring activities with limited workforce, he said the monitoring committees have been directed not only to impose fine for food adulteration but also award imprisonment.The DSCC mayor also said police have been informed of extortion at the Gaptoli cattle market.Later, Sayeed Khokon talked to meat traders, and buyers at the kitchen market.
Shahid Kapoor’s Haider with Vishal Bhardwaj is ready to come out, but that is not enough for the actor. His wish is that the filmmaker should make Kaminey 2 with him.While reports are doing the round that Shahid is, in fact, already a part of Kaminey 2, the actor said: ‘I would be very happy if Kaminey 2 happens.’ Released in 2009, Kaminey starred Shahid in a double role and he won accolades for his performance from all quarters. It also starred Priyanka Chopra and it brought out the news of the affair the two actors had, which lasted for a few months after the movie released. The actors, however, still maintain that they are in good terms with each other. Also Read – A fresh blend of fame‘I had an amazing experience with Vishal sir working on Kaminey and now Haider. I just hope he casts me in his next film and I hope that this film is Kaminey 2,’ the 33-year-old said here Wednesday on the sets of reality show Cine Stars Ki Khoj.In fact, Bhardwaj has already locked a story. ‘He has an amazing story and I think everyone should tell him to make it because he is difficult to convince. But he has a story and a romantic version of Dhan te nan also. I have been telling him he should do it, but he is a filmmaker and he has his own thoughts,’ he added.An adaptation of William Shakespeare’s play Hamlet, Haider also stars Shraddha Kapoor. The film will hit theatres on 2 October.