Indigenous students at the Mahaicony dormitory in Region Five (Mahaica-Berbice) can now focus on their upcoming examinations, as the problems associated with the lack of adequate food has been alleviated. Guyana Times was informed that on Monday, food supplies such as chicken, eggs, sausages and vegetables were transported to the facility which houses 20 students; all from the Indigenous community of Moraikabi, located some 10km up the Mahaicony River.The publication understands that “officials” promised that these supplies will be delivered on a weekly basis. This publication was further informed that these officials are expected to visit the facility some time soon.The students who are currently residing at the facility range in age from 12-16 and currently attend Mahaicony, Hope, Belladrum, Novar and Bygeval Secondary Schools. Four of the 20 are in preparations for their CXC examinations.Two weeks ago, 25 pounds of fish, one bag of potatoes and a quantity of sausages were supplied to the dormitory. On Saturday night, all that remained however was some of the potatoes, which was insufficient to feed the 22 residents, inclusive of the two guardians.Guyana Times had reported on Sunday that even though the current batch of students moved into the facilities in October, there were deteriorating conditions at the premises which needed to be addressed. It was revealed that one side of the compound’s fence was damaged and repairs were also needed to the piping system.Information reaching this newspaper indicated that officials from the region and the Education Ministry visited the facility over three weeks ago and promised that the many concerns raised would be addressed.
Two persons are now in Police custody after they were found in possession of a quantity of ammunition and marijuana during separate searches on Saturday morning during a roadblock operation at Bamia, Linden/Soesdyke Highway.In the first instance, a 45-year-old logger of Alliance, Timehri, East Bank Demerara (EBD) and Kuru-Kuru College Road, was found to be in possession of 10 live 12-gauge cartridges. At the time, he was a passenger in a public transportation vehicle destined for Mahdia.The logger was previously charged with possession of a firearm and ammunition in A Division (East Bank Demerara-Georgetown), and possession of ammunition in E Division (Linden-Kwakwani).Meanwhile, shortly after, a 26-year-old operator residing at Laluni Creek, Soesdyke/Linden Highway, who was also a passenger in another public transportation vehicle, was found in possession of 16 grams of cannabis at the said location.Both men are in custody pending charges.
A tiered system involving relegation and promotion could see the top six teams of each group automatically qualify for the following year’s competition rather than through their domestic leagues, while UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin denied reports games could be played at weekends.“All 20 Premier League clubs today discussed their ‘significant concerns’ regarding reported proposals for changing the format and qualification criteria of UEFA club competitions from season 2024/25,” the Premier League said in a statement.“All clubs unanimously agreed it is inappropriate for European football bodies to create plans that would alter the structures, calendar and competitiveness of the domestic game and will work together to protect the Premier League.”The Premier League is one of the most competitive domestic competitions with its top six of Manchester City, Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham fighting for just four places in the Champions League every season.All six are still involved in European competition this season, with City, United, Liverpool and Tottenham in next week’s Champions League quarter-finals, and Arsenal and Chelsea in the Europa League last eight.– Opposition –However, it is believed leading clubs on the continent are seeking change to combat the Premier League’s advantage over its European competitors from more lucrative TV rights deals.“In England, football plays an important role in our culture and everyday life,” the statement added.“Millions of fans attend matches across the country, with allegiances and local rivalries often passed down through generations. We have a fantastic combination of competitive football and committed fans that we will vigorously defend.”The Premier League are not alone in standing up to the proposals, with senior officials in the Spanish and German leagues also stating their disapproval.On Friday Lars-Christer Olsson, the president of the European Leagues body which represents domestic competitions across the continent, said that there was “unanimous” opposition to the reforms.“Our major objective is to safeguard the domestic competitions and protect them,” Olsson said at the organisation’s annual general meeting in Lisbon.“We have decided to invite all club members of our leagues to a meeting in Madrid on May 6-7, to discuss how they would like to see the development of professional club football in Europe.”On Wednesday multiple sources told AFP that Ceferin and Olsson would meet on May 8 to discuss the proposed changes that were reportedly put to UEFA last month by Juventus chairman Andrea Agnelli, head of the European Club Association (ECA) which represents the continent’s biggest teams.The reforms are also set to be discussed by UEFA’s Club Competitions Committee on May 14.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Zinedine Zidane’s Real Madrid won the 2018 Champions League © AFP/File / GENYA SAVILOVLONDON, United Kingdom, Apr 5 – The Premier League voiced “significant concerns” over potential reforms to the Champions League on Friday, saying the changes would damage the thriving domestic game.Reported reforms being put forward for further discussion include changing the current group stage from eight groups of four to four groups of eight, guaranteeing clubs far more Champions League games from 2024.
New Delhi, Nov 24 (PTI) Sports Minister Vijay Goel has called opon the Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) and Public Sector Banks (PSBs) to contribute for the promotion of sports in the country. A meeting of major PSUs and PSBs with the sports ministry was held here today to discuss promotion of sports in the country. Several CMDs were among those who represented the PSUs and PSBs at the meeting, chaired by Goel. This was for the first time that such a meeting was convened by the Sports Minister to make concerted efforts for the promotion of sports in the country. In his remarks at the meeting, Goel called upon the PSUs and PSBs to come forward and contribute significantly to the cause of promotion of sports in the country. He said that they have a vast reach and resources which can be used for the growth of sports in the country, according to a sports ministry release. The Minister stated that they can contribute in various ways to promotion of sports, including support for training of athletes, creation of sports infrastructure and organisation of sports competitions. He invited PSUs and PSBs to contribute to the National Sports Development Fund (NSDF) which has been set up under the Sports Ministry for sports promotion. He pointed out that contribution to NSDF qualifies for Income Tax exemption and there is matching contribution from the Government as well. Under the NSDF, top athletes have been supported for their preparation for major international tournaments. Also, eminent athletes have been supported for setting up academies. Todays meeting was a part of the on-going efforts being made by Goel to forge consensus on the vision for sports in the country and initiate coordinated efforts for promotion of sports. He has already held two meetings with National Sports Federations, a round table discussion with sportspersons of eminence who have been conferred with Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award and coaches who have been conferred with Dronacharya Award and a brain-storming session with former eminent sportspersons, sports administrators and others associated with sports promotion in the country. PTI PDS PDSadvertisement
Olympic silver medallist and world number six PV Sindhu began her BWF World Tour Finals 2018 campaign in Guangzhou with a hard-fought, straight-game win over defending champion Akane Yamaguchi on Wednesday.The runner-up from the last edition needed 52 minutes to win (24-22, 21-15) the women’s singles Group A match of the season-ending tournament wherein eight top-ranked players battle for glory.Sindhu’s dominance against Yamaguchi continued as she notched up her 10th win in their 14th meeting. Mixing patience and aggression, Sindhu dished out a superb performance even after being stretched in the first game.The Indian shuttler, making her third straight appearance at the Tour Finals, produced a controlled game in the slow conditions, never letting go despite lagging behind many times in the match.The first game clocked 27 minutes as both the shuttlers fought tooth and nail for supremacy. Sindhu was trailing 6-11 at the first internal but she fought back to catch up with the Japanese at 19-19 with a smash on her rival’s backhand.Save and reaction for the point! #badminton #HSBCBWFbadminton pic.twitter.com/n6lRuSZeftBWF (@bwfmedia) December 12, 2018A battle of mind and body ensued as leads changed hands but it was Sindhu who showed better mental fortitude to claim the opening game after a stretched Yamaguchi sent her forehand return at the net.In the second game, Yamaguchi tried to put pressure on the Indian’s backhand but Sindhu was up to the challenge as she made some superb retrieves to lead 3-1 initially.Persistent pressure worked as Yamaguchi levelled par and went to a 4-3 lead when Sindhu made a judgment-error and soon moved to 6-3.advertisementSindhu however soon grabbed the lead at 8-7 after her rival went wide and then hit the net. A fantastic rally ended with Sindhu on her knees at the forecourt. She then went long but the Japanese too erred as it was 9-9. At the break, Yamaguchi held a slender 11-10 lead after Sindhu could not properly connect at the forecourt.Sindhu took a 14-11 lead after the break, following two mistakes from the Japanese and a superb disguised flick at the back court. Sindhu dominated the proceedings after the break, grabbing a six-point cushion at 18-11. Yamaguchi took two points before another long shot gave Sindhu another point.The Indian grabbed six match points when Yamaguchi hit the net again. The Japanese saved one before faltering at the net to hand over the match to Sindhu.The top two players from each group will qualify for the semifinals, after which a knockout draw will be conducted.On the other hand, Syed Modi International winner Sameer Verma had a disastrous start to his World Tour Finals as he was thrashed by Kento Momota.In just 35 minutes, Sameer was completely torn apart 18-21, 6-21 by Momota in the first round.Sameer last met Momota in the Swiss Open in February this year, where he had defeated the Japanese world No.1 but since then, Momota has just taken off on the World Tour.Despite having lost the first match of the World Tour Finals, Sameer has a chance to redeem his campaign against Tommy Sugiarto of Indonesia and Thailand’s Kantophon Wangcharoen in the next matches.(With inputs from PTI)Also Read | Cried, slumped on the sofa after hearing I had nose cancer: Lee Chong WeiAlso Read | PV Sindhu and Carolina Marin to clash in PBL season 4 opener