DUBAI: Top seed Simona Halep had to come from behind for a second straight day on Thursday, overhauling Aryna Sabalenka 3-6, 6-2, 6-2 to reach the Dubai Championships semi-finals.Halep, who had saved a match point in knocking out Ons Jabeur 24 hours earlier, said she had to pick up her pace after losing the first set.”Everything was a little bit fast, too powerful. When I got the rhythm, it was much easier for me to feel the game,” said the world number two. “I played quicker in the second and third set. She didn’t have time to hit the ball. I think that was the key of the match. It’s good to have tough matches. I’m here to give everything I have to win every match I play. I’m happy with these matches.”The Romanian star will face Jennifer Brady on Friday for a place in the final.US qualifier Brady, who beat third seed Elina Svitolina in the first round, booked her last-four spot by dispatching ninth seed Garbine Muguruza, 6-7 (5/7), 6-3, 6-4.Elena Rybakina claimed a season-leading 18th victory with a 7-6 (7/1) 6-3 win over second seed Karolina Pliskova of the Czech Republic.The Kazakh winner has been on a tear in 2020, winning the Hobart trophy and playing finals in Shenzhen and last weekend in St Petersburg.Rybakina will Friday face Petra Martic after the Croatian eighth seed defeated Anett Kontaveit of Estonia 7-6 (7/4), 6-1.As she had on Wednesday, when playing Tunisian wildcard Jabeur, Halep had to fight her way out of a deficit after losing the opening set. The 2015 Dubai champion lifted her game to win the second set and ran off to a 4-1 lead in the final set before finishing off the night three games later.Victory avenged the loss Halep suffered against Sabalenka last month in Adelaide.Brady, who ranks just outside the Top 50, has stunned herself with her form this week.”I was able to find a way, I wasn’t feeling my best,” she said after seeing off Muguruza. “Maybe I didn’t play my best tennis, but I stayed in there, competed and came out on top.”Brady recovered from a set down against the two-time Grand Slam winner from Spain, winning the second set by breaking her opponent’s last two serves.She finished off the upset a set later on a second match point. AgenciesAlso Read: Simona Halep downs Jabeur to enter quartersAlso Watch: Oil India Ltd (OIL) confers Shikshya Ratna Puraskar 2019 to Teachers in Duliajan
Published on August 11, 2020 at 3:30 pm Contact Adam: email@example.com | @_adamhillman “Talking to coaches, teammates, family and friends, I felt like I wanted to post something,” DeVito said. “I wasn’t sure exactly what I wanted to do, so I took a couple days and got my thoughts together. I don’t want to say I (do or don’t) want to play because there’s guys on the team that do and don’t.”Defensive lineman Cooper Dawson has already decided to sit out the 2020 season, and head coach Dino Babers said Aug. 6 that other players are contemplating whether to opt-out. Elmore and DeVito have fully committed to playing in the upcoming season. Other players, even those who don’t plan to opt out, hold similar concerns. The team’s leadership council — which DeVito is a member of — presented Babers with a list of topics before the first day of training camp on Aug. 6. Players didn’t practice that day, instead holding team meetings, some of which included Director of Athletics John Wildhack. Elmore elaborated on the decision to not practice Aug. 6, citing concerns about playing against other schools that may not be testing as much as Syracuse. DeVito also confirmed that the decision was related to COVID-19.“We know what we’re doing on our end,” Elmore said. “Guys are worried about going down somewhere else, and their testing protocols might not be the same as ours. They might have a guy who might be on the field with (COVID-19) and we contract this somehow where we come back and now it’s on the team.” The decision to host Liberty as the Orange’s lone nonconference opponent was not a part of the discussion, Elmore said. Liberty is not requiring students to be tested for COVID-19 when returning to campus, according to a proposed operations plan submitted to the Virginia state government for approval in July. The school also stayed open in April, even after Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam instituted a stay-at-home order. But for now, all the Orange are preparing as if they’ll travel to Chapel Hill in a month for their season-opener, even as other conferences around the country begin to cancel. Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ The Daily Orange is a nonprofit newsroom that receives no funding from Syracuse University. Consider donating today to support our mission.The media won’t have access to Syracuse’s training camp practices this year due to the coronavirus pandemic. Instead, the football team is organizing regular Zoom interviews with head coach Dino Babers and select players while also providing film from the Ensley Athletic Center. With “Camp Notes,” The Daily Orange’s beat reporters bring the latest news, observations and analysis as the Orange gear up for an unprecedented 2020 season. Follow along here and on Twitter.Only a few months before the season, Chris Elmore was undecided about playing for Syracuse in 2020. The risks were obvious: the long-term effects of COVID-19 are unknown. Elmore could play, but he might become severely ill. He could opt out, but he wouldn’t have the opportunity for a strong season that reaches the radars of NFL scouts.“I was just like, ‘ah, is this something I really want to go through, especially my last year?’” Elmore, a senior defensive lineman and tight end, said during a virtual press conference Aug 11. “Just talking it over with my family, we’re all for it until I can’t play no more.”AdvertisementThis is placeholder text“(My decision) was really just thinking about what would I do. I would be going home. Right now, going home really isn’t an option for me.”For quarterback Tommy DeVito, the decision to play this season wasn’t as complicated. Despite an ESPN report that multiple Big Ten players who had previously tested positive for COVID-19 are now experiencing myocarditis — a rare heart condition — the redshirt junior confirmed that he’s “here to play,” and that nothing would change his mind. DeVito said Monday in a statement on Twitter that the Orange are “ready for whatever comes next” — whether that be a full season, postponement to the spring or cancellation entirely. He’s spoken with other players in the Atlantic Coast Conference, asking about their protocols and how their coaches were approaching practices, he said Tuesday.