22 November 2013 South Africa will on Friday transport its first consignment of maize to Lesotho, which has been experiencing a food crisis since July 2012. Earlier this year, South Africa struck a deal with the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) to buy maize from the country’s smallholder farmers as part of a R180-million South African humanitarian donation to Lesotho. “Friday’s consignment is the first of many that are planned for Lesotho. Several more trips will be made in January next year with maize from smallholder farmers from the Eastern Cape, the North West and Limpopo,” Department of Agriculture spokesperson Palesa Mokomele said this week. Maize from the Zivuseni agricultural co-operative and the Ziyibane farming project milled at the Pride Milling plant in Nigel, in Gauteng, was packaged into 4 920 bags each weighing 25 kilograms and would be transported to Lesotho, Mokomele said. Mokomele said Friday’s initiative was a joint venture with the Department of International Relations and Cooperation, the WFP and the Gauteng Department of Agriculture and Social Development. “The WFP, which is an internationally recognised agency of the United Nations, will channel and distribute the maize meal to the school meals programme, health and nutrition activities in Lesotho,” Mokomele said. Lesotho food crisis In July 2012, Lesotho Prime Minister Thomas Thabane declared an emergency food crisis and formally requested support from development partners and the international community. Following a meeting with President Jacob Zuma in October 2012, the South African government, through the Department of International Relations and Cooperation, responded to the appeal with a donation of R180-million. “One of the conditions of this agreement from the South African government’s side was that at least 40 percent of the white, non-GMO [genetically modified] maize must be purchased from smallholder farmers in South Africa,” Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Minister Tina Joemat-Pettersson said earlier this year. “Our country’s aid will help provide up to 22 months of food security for 227 000 children and pregnant and breastfeeding women in Lesotho.” Source: SAnews.gov.za
San Beda, Lyceum still title favorites for NCAA Season 94 PLAY LIST 03:13San Beda, Lyceum still title favorites for NCAA Season 9400:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss “I have high respect for Perpetual because they really brought the best in us,” said Arellano head coach Obet Javier, whose squad came back in the championship series after dropping Game 1, in Filipino.Blood, sweat and tears all worth it for the Lady Chiefs as they celebrate their 3rd NCAA volleyball crown in a row. #NCAAFinals pic.twitter.com/trdOfmMj8kFEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine football chiefSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption charges— MG (@MarkGiongcoINQ) February 12, 2019 SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte Down 11-13, Arellano scored 11 unanswered points capped off by an Ebuen kill that took the fight out of Perpetual Help.Arocha, who took home the Finals MVP plum for the second consecutive time, fired a game-high 16 points, Princess Bello had 12 points and 18 digs while Ebuen added 11.Cindy Imbo paced the Lady Altas with 12 points in her final collegiate game.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Oil plant explodes in Pampanga town ‘We are too hospitable,’ says Sotto amid SEA Games woes “Our loss in Game 1, was big for us because we learned how to recover and realized the things that we still need to do,” Javier added.The Lady Chiefs have now won four titles in five seasons and they did it after going on a blistering run in the fourth set led by Arocha and Ebuen.“All of what we do is for the school. This trophy is for the school,” Javier said.Three-peat for Arellano University Lady Chiefs! #NCAAFinals pic.twitter.com/kCuwUpLDJX— MG (@MarkGiongcoINQ) February 12, 2019ADVERTISEMENT Oil plant explodes in Pampanga town ‘We are too hospitable,’ says Sotto amid SEA Games woes Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting MOST READ US judge bars Trump’s health insurance rule for immigrants LATEST STORIES View comments Kawhi Leonard banks in winning basket as Raptors edge Nets Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netArellano University completed a three-peat after rolling past University of Perpetual Help, 22-25, 25-15, 25-18, 25-18, in the rubber match of NCAA Season 94 women’s volleyball Finals Tuesday before a raucous crowd at Filoil Flying V Centre in San Juan.Reigning MVP Nicole Ebuen and Regine Arocha led the way for the Lady Chiefs, who foiled the Lady Altas’ bid to sweep this year’s volleyball tournament after ruling the men’s and juniors’ divisions.ADVERTISEMENT Grace Poe files bill to protect govt teachers from malicious accusations
Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next MOST READ “It’s not my intention to hurt anyone. My message is about spreading love so why would I even go out there and hurt [June Mar]?”Felizarta, who was yet to be identified at that time, told league Commissioner Willie Marcial that he decided to make a statement “because it’s the elections.”He said that he had been doing stunts like this “since 2010” and that he is running a charity.“I think this is the only chance for us to get things right,” Felizarta explained in Filipino.Two more men were captured by venue security who were later identified as Flenn Lola and Rayahn Paredes.ADVERTISEMENT Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting MANILA, Philippines—The costumed spectator who disrupted Game 5 of the PBA Philippine Cup Finals between San Miguel and Magnolia on Friday night at Araneta Coliseum will be facing multiple charges, the Inquirer learned late Friday night.PSSG Oliver Bocade of Quezon City Police Department’s Station 7 said that 31-year-old Paolo Felizarta is facing charges on the grounds of unjust vexation, and alarm and scandal after entering the playing court which caused a fracas late in the game.ADVERTISEMENT View comments Bocade, who is the case investigator, said that Felizarta, who was donning the costume of “Spider-Man” simply wanted to send across a message, which was “to be wise in this coming election.”Felizarta, who hails from Imus, Cavite, streaked onto the court at the 3:06 mark of the final period, bearing a sign.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logisticsHe ran into Beermen center Fajardo and collided with Christian Standhardinger before he was eventually caught by members of the Araneta’s security and was dragged into the coliseum tunnel where he was unmasked and asked about his objective.“I just want us to love each other. That’s it,” Felizarta told reporters in Filipino. “I couldn’t clearly see through the mask. I’m sorry. SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte Hontiveros presses for security audit of national power grid PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. LATEST STORIES Paredes hit Lola under the assumption that the latter was in cahoots with Felizarta. All three were brought to QCPD’s Station 7 later that night.Fajardo, who was shaken after the collision, told reporters after the game that his jaw continued to hurt. Though he said that he won’t be pressing charges against Felizarta as “no one was seriously harmed.”Recovered from Felizarta were at least 10 neon-green signs. Some of them read “Peace for the Philippines,” “Vote! Love!” and “Support PBA.”Felizarta is expected to be detained until next week as his processing his case could start on Tuesday the earliest due to the weekend and the midterm elections set on Monday. Bocade also noted that it usually takes three days for cases to be raffled to a municipal court.Bocade said Felizarta could post bail. The amount, though, will be determined by a fiscal.“In our experience, minor offenses like this would set someone back by P2,000,” he told the Inquirer.Felizarta was eventually joined by his younger brother and cousin, who both asked not to be named. The pair said they had no prior knowledge of Felizarta’s plans to disrupt the game and stressed that he is different from the “Bicolanong Spiderman” whose charity work is documented in the internet.They said that they are considering on suing San Miguel’s Ronald Tubid, who in the Inquirer’s footage could be seen throwing a punch to the back of Felizarta’s head.The Inquirer tried to ask Felizarta for further comment to which he begged off from. Panelo: Duterte ‘angry’ with SEA Games hosting hassles Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess Ethel Booba twits Mocha over 2 toilets in one cubicle at SEA Games venue Philippine Arena Interchange inaugurated DA eyes importing ‘galunggong’ anew At the buzzer!