Atletico Madrid chief Gil Marin: Simeone has job as long as he wants itby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveAtletico Madrid chief Miguel Angel Gil Marin says coach Diego Simeone has the job for as long as he wants it.Gil Marin is confident the Argentine is happy in Madrid, despite an admission that he sees a future with Inter Milan in Italy.The Atleti director stated: “I think the answer is simple, he has the job for as long as he wants to.”And I am convinced that he will continue to love it here as long as he believes that the club can continue to help him achieve his goals, which continue to produce results. That would mean that Atlético continues competing with the biggest.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say
Chelsea striker Giroud: Cesc a great opportunity for Monacoby Paul Vegas9 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveOlivier Giroud has no doubts former Chelsea teammate Cesc Fabregas will be a success with AS Monaco.Cesc left Chelsea last week for ASM and made his debut in last night’s 1-1 draw at Olympique Marseille.Giroud told Telefoot: “Cesc is a great player, he has this quality of vision of the game, of intelligence of passes. “He’s one of the best players I’ve played with. “This is a great opportunity for Monaco.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
A new campaign featuring celebrities flicking the camera the middle finger has hit the Web to raise awareness of bullying.LeAnn Rimes Gives Bullying The BirdLeAnn Rimes, Adam Lambert, Lance Bass and Carmen Electra are among the stars giving the bird for the Friend Movement, an organization that was created to help show positive anti-bully images through art and media.Adam Lambert Gives Bullying The BirdThe New F Word is a grass roots photo campaign and documentary film that aims to encourage the use of the word FRIEND to project inner strength and confidence. The concept by Elliot Dal Pra London & Ronnie Kroell was taken to a whole new level when Bianca Kosoy, famed branding creative genius, helped shape the campaign by giving it the edginess for which she is known. Add celebrity photographer and co-creator Ryan Forbes to the mix, and you have quite the creative team; bullying beware.From FriendMovement.com: “The meaning behind The New F Word photos refers to an individual’s awareness of how they feel. When a person is called a FREAK they shut down inside, letting the bullying continue. We want the individual to have an empowered inner monologue of “F U, I am actually really FABULOUS and do not need your approval”. This confidence helps to build meaningful friendships and curb the bullying. It’s important to remember that we teach others how to treat us. Our silence simply condones bad behavior, therefore it is no longer an option.”LeAnn Rimes is also set to headline an evening of celebrating music and friendship at El Rey Theatre, Los Angeles, with proceeds benefitting Friend Movement on July 1. The concert will also feature Dia Frampton, Frenchie Davis, Austin Brown and Abraham Lim. More info can be found here.Find out more about the New F Word campaign here.
NEW DELHI: After a hot and sunny day, light showers on Saturday evening brought relief to parts of Delhi and surrounding areas of NCR.The rain followed by overcast skies and thunderstorm brought the mercury down. Earlier in the day, the region witnessed a sunny morning with the minimum temperature settling at 20.2 degrees Celsius, two notches above the average in the season. Maximum temperature was expected to be around 37 degrees Celsius, a Met department official said. On Friday, the maximum temperature was 36 degrees Celsius, while the minimum settled at 18.2 degrees Celsius.
NEW DELHI: Radar images of an air battle between Indian Air Force (IAF) pilot Abhinandan Varthaman and a Pakistani jet during a February dogfight were shown by the air force Monday as “irrefutable proof” that a Pakistani F-16 fighter jet had been shot down by India. Last week, American news publication Foreign Policy had contradicted India quoting unnamed US defence officials as saying that Islamabad’s F-16s were counted and “none were missing.””The IAF has irrefutable evidence of not only use the fact that PAF used F-16 on 27 February but also that an IAF MiG21 Bison shot down a PAF F-16,” said Air Vice Marshal RGK Kapoor, the Assistant Chief of Air Staff (Operations and Space). Also Read – India gets first tranche of Swiss bank a/c detailsThe government had said that in an aerial duel on February 27 – a day after India sent fighter jets to Pakistan’s Balakot to strike a terror training camp – pilot Abhinandan Varthaman had engaged with one of the Pakistani fighter jets that tried to target Indian military facilities, and shot it down before he was hit and forced to eject. Abhinandan Varthaman landed across the Line of Control and was in Pakistani custody for three days before he was returned to India amid attempts to de-escalate the crisis between the two sides. Also Read – Tourists to be allowed in J&K from ThursdayThe Air Force Monday said Pakistani aircraft fired multiple AMRAAM missiles which were defeated. “In the aerial combat that followed one MiG 21 Bison of the IAF piloted by Wing Commander Abhinandan shot down one F-16 of PAF. As shown in radar image on the slide. The F-16 crashed and fell across the LOC. The IAF lost one MiG21 in the aerial engagement, and Abhinandan ejected safely but his parachute drifted across the Line of Control, and he was taken into custody by Pakistan Army,” said the Air Vice Marshal. The Air Force said two parachutes were visually sighted, which were corroborated by radio communication intercepts. Even Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan had on camera indicated “more than one pilot”. These conclusively proved that two aircraft had gone down that day in the same area, separated by around 1 to 1.30 minutes. with pti inputs
Evonne Goolagong (left) and Peaches Bartkowicz at Wimbledon in 1970. Daily Express/Getty Images By Carl Bialik When Peaches Bartkowicz and Chris Evert put their left hands above their right hands to grip their tennis racquets, they were girls in grade school unknowingly defying tennis orthodoxy to hit backhands the way that felt most comfortable. Today, more than half a century later, a little girl who hit backhands without using both hands would be the one defying tennis orthodoxy. One-handed backhands have almost completely disappeared from women’s tennis. And that’s thanks in part to the success that Bartkowicz and Evert had with their two-handed backhands. More: Apple Podcasts | ESPN App | RSS | Embed The two-handed backhand’s dominance has continued: Its users have won 35 of the last 36 women’s major titles. Every woman in the top 10 and 48 of the top 50 use it. It’s also become the dominant backhand in men’s tennis, though with accomplished one-handed holdouts such as Roger Federer, Stan Wawrinka and Dominic Thiem. (Tennis-nerd note: Every player occasionally hits backhands with one hand, especially in defensive positions, either to slice the ball or when forced to take a hand off the racquet to reach the ball. What we’re talking about are how players hit the backhand when they have time to get to the ball and drive it offensively.)Bartkowicz and Evert hit their backhands with two hands because they felt just one didn’t give them enough strength. The two-hander took over pro tennis for similar reasons. Using their off hand on backhands lets players hit with additional power, which gives the ball more speed and spin, especially in concert with the latest racquet and string technology. The one-hander’s advantages — better feel for the ball, more equipped for wide reaches and low bounces, smoother transition to one-handed backhand volleys at net — count less in a game played rarely on low-bouncing, volley-friendly grass and usually contested behind the baseline.The two-handed backhand is especially valuable when returning serves, as the extra support helps to absorb and redirect powerful, high-bouncing shots. Tennis analyst Jeff Sackmann has shown that in men’s pro tennis, players with two-handed backhands get the return in play more often, and win the point more often when they do. Data collected through Sackmann’s crowdsourced Match Charting Project for the women’s game shows the same general trends: Players with two-handed backhands have more success returning serves than do players with one-handed backhands. It’s hard to reach firm conclusions because there are simply so few women hitting one-handed backhands.The dearth of top women using one-handed backhands may be the most compelling data point demonstrating the two-handed backhand’s dominance: If it weren’t the best option, more women would be hitting backhands with one hand. Tennis, like all sports, has its share of domineering coaches, but it is also primarily an individual and individualistic sport. Players command their own games and choose the shots and tactics that will win the most. That makes tennis a sport that breeds innovation, whether it’s among pros at a Slam or among two young girls who chose the backhand that best suited them. And if the one-handed backhand ever makes a comeback in women’s tennis, it might begin with a girl defying orthodoxy and taking one hand off the racquet.Emma Morgenstern contributed research.This is part of our new podcast series “Ahead Of Their Time,” profiling players and managers in various sports who were underappreciated in their era. In the latest installment in our documentary podcast series Ahead Of Their Time, we look at Bartkowicz and Evert, the innovators who brought the two-handed backhand to women’s tennis in a major way. Evert’s story is well-known: She rode her backhand, accuracy and focus to 18 Grand Slam singles titles. Bartkowicz’s is more obscure: After an extraordinary juniors career, she never reached a Grand Slam semifinal as a pro and played her last Slam soon after turning 22. But Bartkowicz’s backhand was ahead of her time. When she was just 12, a photo of her swinging with two hands at the Southern Girls Tennis Tournament appeared in the Louisville Courier-Journal. The caption began with the all-caps “TWO HANDS!” and called the shot a “baseball backhand.” When she won the 1965 U.S. Open girls title, The New York Times commended her “tremendous marksmanship” with that shot. By the time she closed out her junior career without a loss at the 1967 U.S. Open, the Philadelphia Inquirer called her “the foremost exponent of the two-handed backhand in women’s competition.”Evert is nearly six years younger than Bartkowicz and was unknown when Bartkowicz’s baseball backhand became famous. But Evert soon surpassed her older rival. She played her first Grand Slam at the 1971 U.S. Open — just two months after Bartkowicz played her last major at Wimbledon — and made the semifinals at age 16. In 1974, Evert won her first two Grand Slam titles, and the first two on record by a woman who hits a two-handed backhand. (A few notable men used two-handed backhands in the 1930s and 1940s, but the shot had mostly fallen back out of favor among men, too, when Bartkowicz and Evert were starting out.) By the time Evert won her last major, in 1986, her signature shot was tightening its grip in the sport, thanks also to its use by men’s champions Jimmy Connors and Bjorn Borg. And two years after Evert’s retirement, Monica Seles won three of four majors while using two hands on both backhands and forehands.By 2014, when The Economist tracked the decline of one-handed backhands in the pro game, just one woman with a one-handed backhand had won a major since 2008: Francesca Schiavone, at the 2010 French Open. Embed Code
Brazil legend Ronaldo Nazario has admitted that he had expected better from Neymar following his struggles at the World CupThe Paris Saint-Germain forward was only able to find the back of the net twice for Brazil in the competition and was unable to make an impact as the Selecao were surprisingly knocked out by Belgium in the quarter-finals.In fact, Neymar received more recognition for his theatrics on the pitch while reacting to tackles and any physical alterations with opposition players with fans having even gone as far as creating a game called the “Neymar Challenge”.But Ronaldo, who is widely considered to be one of the greatest players in World Cup history, did suggest that Neymar’s foot injury, which ended his club season at PSG in February, may have been a possible reason as to why he failed to produce the level of performances that had been expected of him.Ronaldo told Sport: “We all expected more from him because he’s the star of the team,”“I don’t know if it was because of the operation he had on his foot or another problem but I saw him as quite limited on the pitch.Neymar responds to PSG criticism with a stunning winner Tomás Pavel Ibarra Meda – September 14, 2019 Despite all the backlash he got today at Parc des Princes, Neymar responded by scoring a stunning winner vs Strasbourg.We all knew that Neymar’s…“To arrive at a World Cup following an operation and three months out is complicated. To play the first match as if nothing had happened is difficult.”The next World Cup in Qatar in four years time may be Neymar’s last chance to win the tournament due to the fact that he will be 30 years old come the start of the competition.But Ronaldo feels that the 26-year-old still has time on his side to make an impact.“He must learn from this World Cup because at 26 he is still a young boy,” he said.“Either way, he’s an extremely talented young man who carries a great deal of responsibility.”
Arsenal have reportedly extended Nacho Monreal’s contract to June 2020 after activating a clause they had on his expiring dealThe Spanish full-back has been at Arsenal since January 2013 following his transfer from Malaga for a reported £8.5m.In that time, Monreal has managed 10 goals and 17 assists in 227 appearances across all competitions for the Gunners along with winning three FA Cups and Community Shields.With his contract running out this summer, manager Unai Emery expressed his wish to retain Monreal in the future.Liverpool legend Nicol slams Harry Maguire’s Man United form Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Steve Nicol believes Harry Maguire has made some “horrendous mistakes” recently, and has failed to find his best form since joining Manchester United.Now ESPN reports that Arsenal have taken their option to renew Monreal’s expiring contract until the end of next season with talks over a longer-term deal to be put on hold for now.Although the futures of goalkeeper Petr Cech and injured striker Danny Welbeck remain in doubt as they enter the final six months of their contracts at Arsenal.Welsh star Aaron Ramsey is set to leave for nothing at the end of the season with Juventus recently confirming their interest in signing him.While Stephan Lichtsteiner, who only joined from Juventus last summer, is expected to remain with Arsenal having the option to extend his contract by another 12 months.
Facebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享Governor Bill Walker was happy to announce that leadership in the Alaska Department of Military and Veterans’ Affairs has been poached by President Donald Trump to fill important federal positions. In a written statement Governor Walker says he isn’t surprised at all that these three fine Alaskans have risen to national prominence, and is sure they will continue to serve Alaska well with their new responsibilities. Mike O’HareTrump today appointed Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management Director Mike O’Hare to serve as the new Region X Administrator of the Federal Emergency Management Agency. Last Thursday, December 8th, he was awarded the Alaska Legion of Merit medal for his exceptional service with the State of Alaska.Verdie Bowen Verdie Bowen, Director of the Office of Veterans Affairs was recently elected President of the National Association of State Directors of Veterans Affairs. O’Hare began working in the Statewide Emergency Communications Office in 2008, eventually being appointed as DHSEM Director. Secretary of the Army Dr. Mark Esper named Major General Laurie Hummel, DMVA Commissioner and The Adjutant General of the Alaska National Guard, to the Army Reserve Forces Policy Committee. Major General Hummel’s appointment to the Army Reserve Forces Policy Committee will allow her to advise Secretary of the Army about major policy matters affecting the Army National Guard and U.S. Army Reserve, and the mobilization preparedness of the Army. NASDVA elevated Director Bowen to a national role of advocating on behalf of the nation’s 22 million Veterans and their families. He will represent Alaska at NASDVA, coordinating efforts to ensure Veterans and their families receive the VA services and benefits they earned through service to our nation.Laurie Hummel Story as aired:Audio PlayerDorene-on-trump-taps-alaksa-to-fill-three-important-federal-positons.mp3VmDorene-on-trump-taps-alaksa-to-fill-three-important-federal-positons.mp300:00RPd