CORONER’S WARNING AFTER 2 MEN DIE AND THIRD TAKEN TO HOSPITAL AFTER DRINKING ‘CONTAMINATED’ ALCOHOL

first_imgCoroner John CannonURGENT BREAKING NEWS: THE Co Donegal coroner has issued an urgent warning after two men died and a third man was rushed to hospital after consuming contaminated alcoholic drinks.John Cannon was speaking after he opened the inquests into the deaths of two men. The third man was treated at Letterkenny General Hospital. He believes the drink was either poitin or contraband ‘fake’ drinks.Mr Cannon made the public warning, fearing that other people may consume alcoholic drinks contaminated with deadly chemicals, and most likely illegally-made or contraband products.The cases related to Denis Boyle, of Belcruit, Meenbanad, Burtonport who died on December 18 2013 and Rimantas Grigaliumas, also of Meenbanad, Burtonport, who died three weeks ago on March 13.The Coroner was concerned that the cause of death in both cases were similar in being alcohol related with an exceedingly high level of poisonous contaminant.The evidence given at the inquest held in Letterkenny by investigating Gardaí stated that both men had been drinking heavily immediately before their deaths.The Coroner said the toxic and poison range of Methanol is 100-125 mg/dl and in one of those deaths the Methanol level was five times higher – at 585mg/dl.Sergeant Bridget McGowan indicated to the court that a third person had been admitted to Letterkenny General Hospital and Garda investigations are continuing but it was believed this serious illness may have also been caused by Methanol or some other contaminant.Coroner Mr Cannon stated: “The fact that such substance such as methanol and other toxic ingredients are used to either corrupt or debase or make impure an alcoholic beverage to pretend a taste or potency of its quality in order to make it more marketable in an unlawful underground market is potentially lethal and dangerous to public health.“The toxicological analysis of the sample analysed by the State Laboratory in relation to these deans is catastrophically alarming and it is important that the public is aware and warned of the existence of poisonous alcohol availability in the public place.“This potentially catastrophic alcohol is either a home brew, like poitin, or it may be available as cheap illegally imported alcohol with the pretence of conventional branded names of well known distilleries. It appears to be easily obtained and as such is a serious public health issue.“There are almost twice as many deaths due to alcohol in Ireland compared to all other drugs combined. More than 100 deaths every year in Ireland are directly attributable to alcohol. In 2012 4015 people aged under 30 were discharged from hospital with chronic diseases which were alcohol related. It behoves us to highlight and warn the general public on such matters.”CORONER’S WARNING AFTER 2 MEN DIE AND THIRD TAKEN TO HOSPITAL AFTER DRINKING ‘CONTAMINATED’ ALCOHOL was last modified: April 4th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:alcohol warningDEATHSDonegal coronerJohn Cannonlast_img read more