17 July 2013Public Service and Administration Minister Lindiwe Sisulu handed over two computer laboratories to Alexandria Primary School and Ukhanyo Secondary School in Port Alfred in the Eastern Cape on Wednesday as the province geared up to celebrate Mandela Day.Speaking at the handover, Sisulu said that giving learners information technology skills would ensure that the lack of skills in the field was addressed, thus boosting the country’s economy.“Our country’s economy is dependent on the success of the information technology industry, which we rely on to connect to the rest of the world in conducting business,” Sisulu said.She added that former president Nelson Mandela’s “never give up” attitude should be embraced by all South Africans as the nation and the world prepared to honour the great man on his 95th birthday.“As we celebrate the iconic Madiba we must, though we know we can never be like him, strive to do good as he continues to inspire us, even when he is in hospital right now.”The State Information Technology Agency (SITA), which donated the two computer laboratories, will also provide technical maintenance and support, in addition to a technician on site at the schools to provide support on an ongoing basis.This will be in addition to training that will be given to teachers on information communications technology for a three-month period.Sisulu also handed over a vegetable garden to Bhongweni Primary School as part of an initiative to promote food security in the community.“Just like Madiba did in fighting poverty, this vegetable garden we are handing over today should serve as a first step in ensuring that poverty is history. This garden will ensure that the community is able to feed itself,” Sisulu said.“We will also, in an effort to encourage residents to have vegetable gardens, start a competition where the best garden will be rewarded.”Source: SAnews.gov.za
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest So this year I am getting even more calls and comments on run-away marestail. “Last year I killed it,” is often the remark I hear, too. And following is my response regarding horseweed (Conyza canadensis), or marestail as it is known in OhioThis may be a new weed to you but the western side of the Ohio and particularly the southwest have been fighting it since about 2002. It takes a comprehensive effort, but it can be managed.Depending on severity and tillage in your system:For no-till soybeans — RoundupReady technology1. Spray a combination of 2,4-D and glyphosate in the fall after corn harvest (the biggest problem with horseweed is from late summer and fall germinating seed), or you can spray a combination of 2,4-D and dicamba in the fall.2. Spray a second burndown (this may be the glyphosate and 2,4-D as above or glyphosate plus Sharpen) in April and add your residual soybean herbicide — e.g. Trivence, Canopy, Authority, or your choice of many others, plus we usually add an extra two to four or six ounces of metribuzin. You can also spray a product like Boundary, again there are many options.3. Spray glyphosate in crop at three- to four-leaf soybeans. For tilled soybeans — RoundupReady technology1. Till shortly before planting and that means with an effective tillage tool, not one that just stirs the top inch or so.2. Before planting or immediately after, apply an effective pre-emergent herbicide.3. Apply glyphosate at three- to four-leaf soybeans. LibertLink technology — this is still a great option to manage horseweed and many other weeds that glyphosate has started to miss.1. If no-till, apply fall turndown as noted above.2. In the spring for no-till or tilled, apply pre-emergent herbicide before or at planting.3. At three- to four-leaf soybeans apply Liberty or generic glufosinate, in some cases a post grass product may also be needed and added. A second application may also be used if needed. I went this way in 2017, but really needed the second application for pigweeds (as in waterhemp). For conventional soybeans the practices are about the same as for RoundupReady technology. Most Marestail plants are resistant to glyphosate and we must eliminate them before planting. Use also a pre-emergent herbicide that is effective in preventing germination of new horseweeds.Dicamba beans are now available, and dicamba works great as part of the burndown with soybeans with this technology. It still requires a pre-emergent residual though.Find details in the Ohio, Indiana & Illinois Weed Control Guide, produced by our OSU Weed Specialist Mark Loux, from your local Extension office. The weed science team also has a blog posting some very well done videos on management: http://u.osu.edu/osuweeds/.
Hail Saina Nehwal, the brand new Olympic bronze medallist at the London Olympics. Agreed, the Indian badminton queen did not play her best, but luck smiled on her as opponent Wang Xin from China hobbled off the court because of a knee injury.Sport is about victory and celebrations or losses and tears. On Saturday, it was Saina’s chance to flash that million-watt smile as she wore the bronze medal around her neck after the unfinished play-off.”I told my dad I was sorry I couldn’t win gold but at least I have a bronze medal. I just can believe it,” said Saina at the press conference.Having backpedalled right through the brief contest, when Xin used amazing variety to trouble Saina, the Indian was clueless as to what to do.As the first game was drawing to a close, there was sudden drama. Xin fell on the ground and was in pain at the score of 20-18. She took a medical timeout and resumed play. But in a matter of minutes, after winning one point in the second game, the lefthanded Chinese shuttler walked away in tears.It was mixed emotions for Saina as she knew this was not a match she had won but on a stage as big as the Olympics, what counts is a medal for yourself and the nation.”I can imagine what kind of celebration this is going to spark off in India,” said Saina, who had lost to Indonesian Mariana Yulianti in the quarter-finals of the Beijing Olympics.advertisementSo how is she going to celebrate? “I am now going to watch movies and I am going to eat chocolates. I don’t care even if I am going to put on weight!” Saina said.Saina was under a lot of pressure against the tricky Chinese player. Xin used court craft and huge variety in her game to trouble Saina by smashing and placing the shuttle in different corners of the court.Saina had initially taken a 4-2 lead from where Xin caught up with dexterity. The way the lithe Chinese used her wrist with deception had Saina in trouble. More so, when Saina was misjudging the flight of the shuttle on the baseline.But in a matter of minutes, everything changed. Saina did stage a fightback from 7-14 and caught up before Xin’s knee wrecked it.”My initial reaction was that Wang was trying to slow it down or she was trying to get her breath back as she fell down. But once I saw her in the second set, I knew her injury was serious,” explained Saina.Saina told the media she got good sleep last night. “Yes, I did think a lot about the semi-final loss. But I also knew I had to come out fit for the bronze medal play-off,” said Saina.She admitted that she was trying too hard. “I was in a hurry to play attacking strokes from the beginning. And I was perhaps aware of the expectations back home,” said Saina.The atmosphere inside the hall on Saturday was fantastic. Wembley is better known for football but these days it is the indoor badminton hall which has been making huge noise.For the vocal Chinese supporters, this was a big let-down. They had the national flag in place and were loudly cheering star Xin.The Indian fan base, too, was not to be left behind. Waving the Tricolour and cheering Saina in English and Hindi, they were rewarded for their loyalty.
Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next MOST READ “It’s not my intention to hurt anyone. My message is about spreading love so why would I even go out there and hurt [June Mar]?”Felizarta, who was yet to be identified at that time, told league Commissioner Willie Marcial that he decided to make a statement “because it’s the elections.”He said that he had been doing stunts like this “since 2010” and that he is running a charity.“I think this is the only chance for us to get things right,” Felizarta explained in Filipino.Two more men were captured by venue security who were later identified as Flenn Lola and Rayahn Paredes.ADVERTISEMENT Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting MANILA, Philippines—The costumed spectator who disrupted Game 5 of the PBA Philippine Cup Finals between San Miguel and Magnolia on Friday night at Araneta Coliseum will be facing multiple charges, the Inquirer learned late Friday night.PSSG Oliver Bocade of Quezon City Police Department’s Station 7 said that 31-year-old Paolo Felizarta is facing charges on the grounds of unjust vexation, and alarm and scandal after entering the playing court which caused a fracas late in the game.ADVERTISEMENT View comments Bocade, who is the case investigator, said that Felizarta, who was donning the costume of “Spider-Man” simply wanted to send across a message, which was “to be wise in this coming election.”Felizarta, who hails from Imus, Cavite, streaked onto the court at the 3:06 mark of the final period, bearing a sign.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logisticsHe ran into Beermen center Fajardo and collided with Christian Standhardinger before he was eventually caught by members of the Araneta’s security and was dragged into the coliseum tunnel where he was unmasked and asked about his objective.“I just want us to love each other. That’s it,” Felizarta told reporters in Filipino. “I couldn’t clearly see through the mask. I’m sorry. SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte Hontiveros presses for security audit of national power grid PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. LATEST STORIES Paredes hit Lola under the assumption that the latter was in cahoots with Felizarta. All three were brought to QCPD’s Station 7 later that night.Fajardo, who was shaken after the collision, told reporters after the game that his jaw continued to hurt. Though he said that he won’t be pressing charges against Felizarta as “no one was seriously harmed.”Recovered from Felizarta were at least 10 neon-green signs. Some of them read “Peace for the Philippines,” “Vote! Love!” and “Support PBA.”Felizarta is expected to be detained until next week as his processing his case could start on Tuesday the earliest due to the weekend and the midterm elections set on Monday. Bocade also noted that it usually takes three days for cases to be raffled to a municipal court.Bocade said Felizarta could post bail. The amount, though, will be determined by a fiscal.“In our experience, minor offenses like this would set someone back by P2,000,” he told the Inquirer.Felizarta was eventually joined by his younger brother and cousin, who both asked not to be named. The pair said they had no prior knowledge of Felizarta’s plans to disrupt the game and stressed that he is different from the “Bicolanong Spiderman” whose charity work is documented in the internet.They said that they are considering on suing San Miguel’s Ronald Tubid, who in the Inquirer’s footage could be seen throwing a punch to the back of Felizarta’s head.The Inquirer tried to ask Felizarta for further comment to which he begged off from. Panelo: Duterte ‘angry’ with SEA Games hosting hassles Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess Ethel Booba twits Mocha over 2 toilets in one cubicle at SEA Games venue Philippine Arena Interchange inaugurated DA eyes importing ‘galunggong’ anew At the buzzer!
About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Man City winger Sterling adamant they can beat Liverpoolby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester City winger Raheem Sterling is adamant they can stop runaway Premier League leaders Liverpool.Sterling is undaunted about facing Jurgen Klopp’s rampant Reds, who have reeled off nine straight wins to open up a seven-point lead in the title race.”If we can play the way we know we can play, we can beat anyone,” said a defiant Sterling. “It’s going to be a great game on Thursday and we’re all looking forward to it.“The last three games we started well and scored the opening goal and then we were sloppy, but our mentality was good against Southampton and we showed a good fighting spirit.”There was a bit of luck as well, but we played some great football and controlled the game, which we know we can do. It’s up to us to keep that focus and go on to the next one.”
About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Nicol urges calm around Chelsea outcast Pulisicby Paul Vegas24 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveLiverpool legend Steve Nicol says Christian Pulisic will come good at Chelsea.Chelsea fans have been pleading with Frank Lampard to give Pulisic more game time in the league, but the boss seems to prefer Pedro and Willian on either flank with Tammy Abraham in the middle.Regardless, Nicol explained on ESPN FC that Chelsea fans need to just give the youngster time, because he will get good in the end.“I think everyone should calm down,” he said.“He’s 21, he’s just started out on his Premier League career.“He’s what, six or seven games in? And everyone is jumping up and pressing the panic button.“This kid has ability, he also has something very important – a level head.“As much as everyone around him may be panicking, he understands that – because he’s been through it already at Dortmund.“He knows that patience is needed, and that through the ability he has, he’ll get there in the end.“I’m sure that right now he’s thinking – I’ve done it all before, I need to step up a level, but I can do this.”
INDIANAPOLIS, IN – DECEMBER 02: Head coach Urban Meyer of the Ohio State Buckeyes looks on as they play the Wisconsin Badgers during the second half of the the Big Ten Championship game at Lucas Oil Stadium on December 2, 2017 in Indianapolis, Indiana. (Photo by Joe Robbins/Getty Images)Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer made the rounds yesterday, appearing on The Dan Patrick Show, CBS, ESPN and Fox to promote his new book, titled “Above the Line.” Bill O’Reilly, host of The O’Reilly Factor, made sure to ask some interesting questions.O’Reilly, alluding to Meyer’s strict policies, asked the Buckeyes head man what he’d have done if Jameis Winston, who infamously stole crab legs from a Publix ahead of the 2014 season, had been on his team. He said he “would have had a hard time letting it go.”Of course, it’s always easy to say what you’d have done when you aren’t in the exact situation. That being said, Meyer probably runs a tighter ship now than he did in the past.
VANCOUVER – A spokesman for British Columbia’s wildfire service says crews accidentally sparked a blaze while burning off fuel in order to contain one of many fires raging across the province’s Interior.Kevin Skrepnek says embers ignited a nearby hillside as part of a controlled burn Tuesday against the 840-square-kilometre Elephant Hill fire, about 80 kilometres west of Kamloops.Skrepnek says conditions appeared ideal until the winds shifted dramatically, blowing them west across Highway 97.He says he doesn’t know the exact size of the unintentional blaze but firefighters were still working to put it out as of Wednesday afternoon.Skrepnek says the controlled burn was successful in depriving the main fire of fuel.He says controlled burns are an essential and effective tool for fighting wildfires and that while accidents do happen the vast majority of planned burns are successful.
MONTREAL – Canadian automobile dealers are launching a national recruiting campaign next month after a poll suggested that millennials aren’t keen to pursue careers in a sector that has seen vehicle sales reach a record high.“There’s a lot of young Canadians…(for whom) it’s not even on their radar,” said Catherine Fortin Lefaivre, a spokeswoman for the Canadian Automobile Dealers Association.She said research and anecdotal evidence suggests there’s a perception that auto dealerships is mainly about sales and parts.“The car dealership of 2018 is one that requires a lot more business people, a lot more marketing people, people with a background in innovation increasingly as the way cars are built is changing,” she said in an interview.Opportunities are also available in finance, IT and management roles at more than 3,200 car and truck dealerships across the country that employ 150,000 people.An Abacus Data survey released during the Montreal International Auto Show found that working in an auto dealership isn’t on the radar for 68 per cent of people aged 18 to 37.One quarter of the people surveyed said they have considered working in various capacities in an auto dealership, while seven per cent said they have worked in a dealership.Men were more interested in such careers than women.In addition to millennials, the association plans to target women, immigrants and veterans over the next three years.Light vehicle sales exceeded two million for the first time last year, pushing revenues to above $120 billion. Strong sales are expected to continue.The online survey of 2,000 millennials was conducted Dec. 22 to Jan. 8. The margin of error for a comparable probability-based random sample of the same size is considered accurate plus or minus 2.6 per cent, 19 times out of 20.The polling industry’s professional body, the Marketing Research and Intelligence Association, says online surveys cannot be assigned a margin of error because they do not randomly sample the population.Follow @RossMarowits on Twitter.