December 30, 2010 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Less anti-media violence in 2010 but more obstruction and self-censorship News Sri LankaAsia – Pacific News Reporters Without Borders condemns the new forms of censorship and obstruction being used by government to prevent diverse and freely-reported media coverage of the situation in Sri Lanka. The fall in the number of physical attacks, threats and cases of imprisonment is to be welcomed, but it is worrying that the authorities are blocking the return of real editorial freedom.At the same time, the flight of at least 55 Sri Lankan journalists, including many press freedom activists, into exile during the past three years has left a void in the country’s media.We hope the authorities will create the conditions for a lasting improvement in press freedom in 2011. This must include solving the murder of The Sunday Leader’s well-known editor, Lasantha Wickrematunge, nearly two years ago (http://en.rsf.org/sri-lanka-shock-and-anger-continue-one-year-07-01-2010…) and political cartoonist Prageeth Ekneligoda’s disappearance nearly a year ago (http://en.rsf.org/sri-lanka-where-is-prageeth-10-08-2010,38113.html).The latest incident was today’s ban on a visit by 10 Sri Lankan and foreign journalists, including the BBC’s correspondent, to a detention camp in Boosa to attend a meeting between prisoners and the government-created Lessons Learned and Reconciliation Commission (LLRC). The reporters had previously received permission from the LLRC and the Media Centre for National Security.Human rights groups say there have been cases of torture and extrajudicial disappearances in the camp, which houses more than 700 suspected former members of the Tamil Tiger rebels.BBC journalists were already prevented from attended several LLRC interview sessions with the Tamil population in September in Killinochchi, Mullaitivu and elsewhere. The BBC’s journalists were, on the other hand, able to cover the commission’s work in the north of the island in August. At this time, the Tamil daily Thinakural and the Colombo-based English-language Sunday Times published devastating accounts of cases of forced disappearances of Tamils at the end of the civil war.As a general rule, the authorities are providing the media with no precise information about the problem of Tamil Tiger prisoners of war. The figures vary from ministry to ministry. And the press has had no access to some detainee camps. Journalists are afraid to cover the issue of war crimes or their editors do not let them.A Colombo-based media freedom activist said: “Several journalists from English and Sinhalese-language media have been allowed to follow the LLRC’s work, but their reports do not include the most disturbing accounts of the end of the war. They have to censor themselves on the issue of war crimes.”In another example of self-censorship, few Sri Lankan media reported the recent murder in Jaffna of an education official who had criticised the government’s decision to force Tamil children to sing the national anthem in Sinhalese.One of the few newspapers to cover these stories, The Sunday Leader, is being subjected to various forms of harassment. Its editor, Frederica Jansz, is currently being sued by Gotabhaya Rajapaksa, one of the president’s brothers.In 2010, the main telephone operator, Dialog, refused to transmit critical content of the government by SMS. A Colombo-based journalist said this decision forced several news websites to censor themselves in order to continue having their reports relayed by Dialog. The situation was denounced by JNW News, which provides mobile phone operators with news content.Cases of violence have not ended altogether. Reporters for the MTV / Sirasa television station and the Lanka-e-News website were recently attacked by ruling party supporters while at Colombo airport to cover the return of the leader of the far-left NSSP party. And four journalists, including a Daily Mirror photographer, were hit by police while covering a student demonstration in the capital in mid-October. Sri Lanka: Journalist manhandled by notorious police inspector currently on trial Sri Lanka: tamil reporter held on absurd terrorism charge July 29, 2020 Find out more to go further Receive email alerts Sri LankaAsia – Pacific Sri Lanka: RSF signs joint statement on attacks against human rights defenders, lawyers and journalists January 13, 2021 Find out more Help by sharing this information RSF_en July 15, 2020 Find out more News Organisation Follow the news on Sri Lanka News
NEW DELHI: Cheteshwar Pujara finds the constant fuss over his strike-rate a tad unfair and wants to clarify once and for all that he has the full backing of the team management.In the age of slam-bang cricket, Pujara brings delight to the purists of the game by batting on and on without worrying too much about the strike-rate. But to appreciate someone who epitomizes patience in Test cricket is maybe asking for too much from the “millennials”.Last week, the soft-spoken 32-year-old from Rajkot found himself at the receiving end again on social media as he labored his way to 66 off 237 balls in thefinal against Bengal.To his credit, he overcame fever and throat infection to share a game-changing stand with Arpit Vasavada, helping Saurashtra to their maiden title on the basis of a first-innings lead.Whether it is playing for Saurashtra or India, Pujara is used to the constant chatter around his strike-rate.“I don’t think there is too much talk (on the inside). In media, it is described differently, but the team management has been backing me on this completely. There is no pressure from the captain, coach or anyone else,” Pujara, who is currently getting much-needed family time due to the COVID-19 outbreak, said.“I just want to clarify that when it comes to striking rate people start pointing towards the team management’s take on it, but there is no pressure on me at all. The team management understands my style of play and its importance.”For someone who averages 48.66 in 77 Tests, perception counts for little.“The question that was asked on social media (during the Ranji Trophy final) was ‘why am I taking so long to score X number of runs’? Whether I pay attention to that? No, I don’t. My job is to make sure that the team wins at all times.“People have this tendency to pinpoint one person, but it is just not about me. If you look at any Test series where I have scored runs and taken a little bit of time, the opposition batsmen, most of them, have consumed the same number of balls.“I know I can’t be a David Warner or Virender Sehwag, but if a normal batsman takes time there is nothing wrong in that.”The entire batting unit had a tough time in New Zealand with the 0-2 loss in Tests marking the end of the international season. Pujara collected five half-centuries this season, including one in New Zealand, but could not add to his 18 hundred.“People expect big knocks from me. I always challenge myself to score a 100, but to average close to 50 in Tests means you are scoring a half-century almost every second innings.“My standards are always high and I am not satisfied with the season that I had but I would not call it a bad one at all.”It may be boring and exhausting for a majority of the fans, but batting time and wearing out the opposition excites Pujara the most.Asked why they don’t make it like him anymore, Pujara gave a practical response.“I don’t think it is on the decline (the art of batting time). There is value for it. Maybe the youngsters are not inclined towards this format. It is a fact that there are more games in white-ball cricket. A youngster would want to play shorter formats because it is financially better.“There is nothing wrong with that but they should understand that real cricket is Test cricket and you will be judged only on the performances in the five-day game.”With uncertainty over the upcoming county season in the UK due to the COVID-19 outbreak, Pujara has no game time lined up in the near future. The biggest international assignment for him this season is the tour of Australia and he can’t be more fired up for that.Rather than focusing on the loss in New Zealand, Pujara looked at the Australian challenge, especially after India’s historic triumph Down Under last year.“It is one of the most important series for us.”On playing a full-strength Australia this time, he said: “They (Steve Smith and David Warner) are important players, but if we played the way we played in the last series, we should be able to beat them. AgenciesAlso Read: Arpit Vasavada, Cheteshwar Pujara help Saurashtra hold egde over BengalAlso Watch: Prices of Protective Masks and Hand Sanitizers are Increasing rapidly due to fear of Coronavirus.
The starting 15 for Tipperary’s Munster Championship opener against Cork this weekend should be named tomorrow. The Premier County will kick off their 2016 campaign against the Rebels with a home clash in Semple Stadium on Sunday afternoon. Manager Michael Ryan is believed to be making his final preparations ahead of the match….while senior selector Declan Fanning says the players are very well prepared mentally for the challenge. Fanning says that they’ve tried to plant a few key ideas in the players’ heads in recent weeksThrow in on Sunday is at 4 o’clock and Tipp FM will have full live coverage of the clash in association with Mulcahy Car Sales, Ardcroney, Nenagh.And ahead of that – Tipperary’s Munster Championship coverage gets underway this Friday evening from 7 pm as Tipp FM will be broadcasting live from LIT Thurles for our Championship Special hosted by Jackie Cahill.