Military censors close Rangoon-based weekly for good

first_imgNews RSF_en to go further Thai premier, UN rapporteurs asked to prevent journalists being returned to Myanmar MyanmarAsia – Pacific Reporters Without Borders and the Burma Media Association condemn the indefinite closure of the Rangoon-based weekly Phoenix by the military government’s censorship board on 21 August. The weekly is edited by Mar-J, a writer who has been subject to bans in the past for his satirical comments.“This ban is a sad example of the censorship to which Burma’s privately-owned media are constantly exposed,” the two organisations said. “The publication of critical articles is not grounds for such a ban. Phoenix must be allowed to resume publishing without delay.”Last November, Reporters Without Borders and the Burma Media Association released the text of a directive which the censorship board had sent to the news media spelling out the circumstances in which they could be suspended or closed down for good.The authorities have not given any specific reason for Phoenix’s closure. Mizzima, a Burmese exile news website, quoted a censorship board official as simply saying: “The weekly has been banned from publishing.”A one-issue ban was previously imposed on Phoenix on 28 May. Mizzima reported four days later that the weekly had been punished for defying the censorship board’s orders to publish only entertainment articles. Phoenix’s editors said the orders had come too late.Part of the motive for the permanent ban appears to be a desire to settle old scores with Mar-J, who is also a former Major in the Burmese Air Force. But after publishing satirical articles about the military junta, he was removed from his post. Photo of the weekly Phoenix: MyanmarAsia – Pacific Help by sharing this information Receive email alerts Organisation May 26, 2021 Find out morecenter_img May 31, 2021 Find out more News September 1, 2009 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Military censors close Rangoon-based weekly for good RSF asks Germany to let Myanmar journalist Mratt Kyaw Thu apply for asylum News News US journalist held in Yangon prison notorious for torture Follow the news on Myanmar May 12, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Targeted violence against journalists by police dispersing protest

first_img News June 8, 2021 Find out more On the grounds that their sit-in was not authorized, the police gave the protesters an ultimatum and then charged them at dawn yesterday. At least 237 arrests were reportedly made.Armenia is ranked 78th out of 180 countries in the 2015 Reporters Without Borders press freedom index. ArmeniaEurope – Central Asia ArmeniaEurope – Central Asia RSF_en June 24, 2015 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Targeted violence against journalists by police dispersing protest Reporters Without Borders condemns targeted Armenian police violence against journalists at dawn yesterday in Yerevan, when the authorities used force to disperse a sit-in by large crowd of demonstrators protesting against electricity price hikes. Police attacked at least ten journalists and almost systematically confiscated or smashed their equipment. At least 11 journalists were briefly detained.“We are shocked by the use of such disproportionate force against journalists who were just doing their work,” said Johann Bihr, the head of the Reporters Without Borders Eastern Europe and Central Asia desk.“This targeted violence was clearly designed to prevent media coverage of the use of force to disperse the sit-in. We urged the authorities to punish this violation of freedom of information so that it does not recur.”Reporters Without Borders has obtained confirmation that Garik Azibekian and Sisak Gabrielian of Radio Azatutyun (the Armenian service of RFE/RL) were attacked, as were Davit Davtian and Khachatur Esayan of Armenia TV.PanArmenian.net said its reporter, Nicolas Torosian, was hit by police, as were the photographers Gevork Gazarian and Karo Sahakian. Three cameramen working for the 1in.am news website ¬– Karen Chilingaryan, Hovsep Hovsepyan and Gor Hovhannisyan – were also hit. Gala TV journalist Paylak Farhadian said that, while detained, he was beaten “in the presence of Yerevan’s police chief.”The journalists who were briefly detained included Garik Harutyunian of Radio Azatutiun, Arsen Sargsyian of Armenian News and Ani Hovhannisian and Hrant Galtsian of HETQ.The protest against the electricity price hikes began on 19 June, when several thousand people occupied Freedom Square in central Yerevan. After failing to obtain satisfaction, they began marching on the presidential palace on the evening of 22 June but the police blocked them at Baghramian Avenue, where they spent the night. Help by sharing this information Follow the news on Armenia News April 9, 2021 Find out more News RSF calls for a fully transparent investigation after mine kills two journalists in Azerbaijan November 11, 2020 Find out more to go further Receive email alerts Organisation Forum on Information and Democracy 250 recommendations on how to stop “infodemics” Russian peacekeepers deny foreign reporters access to Nagorno-Karabakh Newslast_img read more