Lawyer gets 10 years for misusing client funds March 1, 2002 Regular News Lawyer gets 10 years for misusing client funds Telling the other lawyers in the courtroom to listen up, 15th Circuit Judge Marvin Mounts, Jr., recently sentenced former West Palm Beach lawyer C.E. Chillingworth to 10 years in prison for misusing client funds.“Simply stated, misuse of clients funds is one of the most serious offenses a lawyer can commit,” Judge Mounts said January 25, reading from his 17-page sentencing order. “Stealing elevates it to the most serious wrong possible.”Judge Mounts also sentenced Chillingworth, 58, to 20 years of probation after his release and ordered him to pay more than $2 million in restitution. The sentence far exceeded the guidelines, which call for 21 to 35 months in prison.In July, Chillingworth pleaded guilty to a first-degree felony in a case where he misappropriated escrow funds. He resigned from the Bar in 1998. Chillingworth helped a client secure a $2.4-million loan from Attorneys Title Insurance Fund to pay off his client’s debts — including a $1.5-million mortgage on his client’s home — but diverted most of the money to himself and to a business he and the client owned. The fund had to pay off the mortgage and is suing Chillingworth to recover $1.45 million.“The completed crime was larceny of $2.4 million, pure and simple,” said Judge Mounts, who called Chillingworth’s actions “an affront to the honor and dignity of each honest attorney.”“It fuels the festering cynicism and suspicion that exists in some quarters of public opinion concerning the trustworthiness of our profession,” Judge Mounts said.Chillingworth’s lawyer, John Page, asked the judge for leniency, pleading that probation would allow Chillingworth to make restitution for his crime.Judge Mounts said while many defendants awaiting sentencing in the context of theft begin accumulating something as a symbol of their determination to make amends for their transgressions, Chillingworth had not.“Had this man set aside only $20 per week from the date his charge was filed, he would have accumulated $1,480 (total of 74 weeks, August 29, 2000 thru week ending January 25),” Mounts said. “Here, not one penny has been tendered.”Mounts said while there were many reasons why he chose to depart from the sentencing guidelines, the greatest was Chillingworth’s “betrayal of a fiduciary relationship in a position of trust and confidence.”Assistant State Attorney Frank Castor prosecuted the case and told The Palm Beach Post the sentence was appropriate.“When you steal this much money, you have to face consequences,” Castor said. “It is an outrage, what he did, violating trust. The judge did the right thing.”Before sentencing, Page had filed a motion to disqualify Mounts, saying Chillingworth had “lost all lingering hope and belief that Judge Mounts could be fair and impartial in the case.”Chillingworth is appealing the sentence and was released after posting bond pending the appeal. In the meantime, Judge Mounts ordered Chillingworth to make all his financial records available for review and suggested he sell his house.“Were he to sell it and apply the proceeds to his debt, this would be a considerable mitigation,” Judge Mounts said.
MASON CITY — Three of the four names of those involved in a fatal crash on Mason City’s east side on Friday night have been released. Officers were called shortly before 10:45 PM to California Avenue just south of State Highway 122, where they found a vehicle had rolled over, two persons had been ejected from the vehicle, and two others were still inside the vehicle. All four were taken to MercyOne North Iowa Medical Center. The Mason City Police Department says 21-year-old Madisyn Ensign of Dumont was ejected from the vehicle and died as a result of the injuries she sustained. The driver, 24-year-old Tomas Berk of Aredale, as well as a passenger,18-year-old Dominic Clifford, whose hometown was not identified, were both hospitalized after sustaining injuries. A fourth occupant, an unnamed minor, was treated and released from the hospital. Police Chief Jeff Brinkley says the crash remains under investigation, and if anyone has information about the crash, they are asked to contact the Police Department at 421-3636.
Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers could sell Charlie Adam to Stoke to fund the signing of Clint Dempsey, the Daily Mirror say.Dempsey is keen to move to Anfield but Fulham are yet to receive a bid for the American.It is claimed that Rodgers wants to sign him before the transfer deadline and is looking to offload a number of players in order to raise cash.Meanwhile, the Daily Mail say Fulham have made a last-ditch bid to sign Manchester United striker Dimitar Berbatov, who is close to agreeing a move to Fiorentina.The Guardian report that Fulham are interested in Blackpool winger Matt Phillips and Wolfsburg’s Iranian-German midfielder Ashkan Dejagah.Robert Green is getting ready to quit QPR, according to The Sun.The goalkeeper, who joined Rangers on a Bosman free transfer from West Ham this summer, has played only three matches for his new club.But it is claimed Green will look to leave Loftus Road in January if, as expected, Julio Cesar takes his first-team place.This page is regularly updated.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
TORONTO – Blayne Lastman, the son of former Toronto mayor Mel Lastman, announced Thursday that he will not be seeking the city’s top job, ending weeks of speculation that he would try to follow in his father’s footsteps.In an early morning statement, Blayne Lastman said he decided not to run for mayor in the Oct. 22 municipal election after “careful consideration and consultation” with his family.“The last week has been an emotional roller-coaster,” Lastman said in the statement. “While I am overwhelmed by the support I have received, my decision not to run is in the best interest of my family, my business and of course, the great City of Toronto.”Lastman is best known for running the Bad Boy furniture and appliance empire his father started in 1955. He was expected to appear at city hall on Thursday and announce his candidacy, a day before the deadline to enter the race.His father served as mayor of North York, Ont., for more than 20 years before becoming the first mayor of the amalgamated city of Toronto in 1998.Lastman said he will now offer his full support to current Mayor John Tory, who is running for a second term in office.“The mayor’s job is not one that can be taken lightly,” Lastman said. “Our city faces many concerns including crime and gridlock. I am well aware of the commitment that John Tory has made to the city and I offer him my full support.”In the elder Lastman’s post-mayoral days, he could be seen in Bad Boy commercials alongside Blayne, who re-launched the chain in 1991, shouting its notorious slogan with an “OK” sign and an exaggerated wink: “Who’s better than Bad Boy? Noooooobody!”The 85-year-old Mel Lastman left politics in 2003 after serving six years as Toronto’s mayor. One of his defining moments came in 1999 when he called in the army after a fierce winter storm paralysed the city.So far, 21 candidates have entered the mayoral race, including Tory.
BET Networks has announced that Mariah Carey, Jennifer Hudson, Janelle Monae, Tamar Braxton, Smokey Robinson, Karen Clarke Sheard and Wayne Brady are set to bring down the house at the Warner Theatre with a series of powerful and magnetic performances for BET Honors 2014.Honoring distinguished African Americans performing at exceptional levels, this year’s show will celebrate the achievements of the Queen of Soul, Aretha Franklin, Motown Records founder and creator of the smash hit MOTOWN THE MUSICAL, Berry Gordy, American Express CEO & Chairman, Ken Chenault, visual artist, Carrie Mae Weems and entertainment trailblazer, Ice Cube.Hosted by actor and comedian, Wayne Brady, “BET Honors” will premiere during Black History Month on Monday, February 24 in the USA and around the world on BET’s international network on February 28, 2014 at 9:00pm GMT (check local listings).Esteemed gentlemen, Rev. Al Sharpton, Joe Morton, Ludacris and Mack Wilds are also scheduled to present at this year’s show. “BET Honors” has become a staple in BET history by celebrating extraordinary African-Americans including Cicely Tyson, Jamie Foxx, Iman, Herbie Hancock, Whitney Houston, Queen Latifah, Sean “Diddy” Combs along with memorable past performances by Trey Songz, Ne-Yo, Yolanda Adams, Keyshia Cole, Jennifer Hudson, Mary J. Blige and Patti LaBelle.Proceeds from “BET Honors” limited ticket sales will benefit the Women Veterans Interactive (WVI), an organization that helps restore hope as well as provides housing options and support for veterans and their families in need. WVI was created to address the unique, and often unrecognized, challenges facing our nation’s 1.8 million woman veterans as they return to civilian life.Stephen Hill, President of Music Programming and Specials, BET Networks, and Lynne Harris Taylor, Vice President of Specials, BET Networks are executive producers, along with Jesse Collins of Jesse Collins Entertainment.For more information on “BET Honors,” visit www.bet.com/bethonors. Also, join the conversation about the special on Twitter by using hashtags: #BETHonors; follow the show for all updates & special surprises @BET.Source:PR Newswire
Ohio State wrestling coach Tom Ryan addresses his team after the Buckeyes’ practice on Oct. 20. Credit: Jeff Helfrich | Lantern ReporterThe television outside of Tom Ryan’s office is often set to ESPN. Inevitably, he walks by a lot of College Football Playoff talk on the sports network. And every time he hears it, he can only think of one thing — a college wrestling playoff. This idea has been more than a thought in the mind of Ohio State’s wrestling coach. Ryan has pushed for a stand-alone, dual-meet championship tournament in the NCAA, among other things. He’s even a member of the Blue Ribbon Task Force committee, which is dedicated to developing a long-term plan for NCAA wrestling. The Blue Ribbon Task Force includes members such as North Carolina State Athletic Director Debbie Yow, NCAA executive vice president of regulatory affairs Oliver Luck and Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby. The task force was formed by the National Wrestling Coaches Association. “We’ve got some big dogs involved,” Ryan said. “And they all like the sport and they all see the value in wanting to move in this direction. And because they’re involved now, things can happen.”There is currently a proposal, unanimously approved by the committee, in the works that would change college wrestling to a one-semester sport that starts during December and would end about six weeks later than usual with a dual-meet tournament. The current individual championships would stay in March. The NCAA has yet to sign off on the proposal. Ryan’s reasoning for the change stems from the idea that dual meets are more fan-friendly than longer individual tournaments. He wants to attract more interest in his sport. “I think it’s spectator-friendly,” Ryan said. “An hour and a half, an hour and 45 minutes is way better than three days in a gym, or tournaments two days in a gym. I think it’s substantially more team-oriented. I think team sports are sports that our culture follows. I think it’s important for the sport of wrestling that we value the team aspect as much as the superstar aspect.”Ohio State has experience balancing individual success with team success. The Buckeyes won a team national championship in 2015 and their current roster is home to former individual national champions and an Olympic champion in heavyweight Kyle Snyder. Ryan said the proposed changes would place importance on more wrestlers in his program, due to the fact that dual-meet wins and losses would count more in preparation for a dual-meet tournament. “I think it would add more value to more people,” Ryan said. “Because, right now if you lose a dual meet, it doesn’t hurt your chance to win the national tournament. And because of that, you’re hesitant to put all your guys in when they may be banged up or not. So, because of that, it brings less value to your guys in the room.”Ryan said most of the opposition that the proposal faces involves the timing and scheduling of the hypothetical events. He said there also are differing viewpoints on how teams would be chosen for a dual-meet tournament and how many teams would be involved. The ability of wrestlers to maintain their peak performance for an entire season is also up for discussion. Redshirt senior Nathan Tomasello seemed to be all for the proposed changes. He placed value on the ability of dual meets to attract new, casual fans to the sport. “I think it’s important to make it more of a team sport and easier to follow,” Tomasello said. “If you don’t really know wrestling that well, it’s tough to follow how people get points at national tournaments.” Ryan said wrestling is one of the few collegiate sports that actually succeeds as a business model with ticket sales, and that gives the NCAA incentive to retool the sport and maximize profit. A dual meet at the Schottenstein Center between Ohio State and Penn State drew an attendance of 15,338 just last season. Ryan drew a comparison to Ohio State football fans tuning in to Saturday’s game between Penn State and Michigan because of a vested interest in the sport and the outcome of the game. That type of heightened interest is what he desires for the sport of wrestling. “We don’t have that in wrestling,” Ryan said. “And we need it. And until we get it, we’ll continue to be a sport that’s kind of status quo instead of one that’s thriving.”
Shahid Kapoor’s Haider with Vishal Bhardwaj is ready to come out, but that is not enough for the actor. His wish is that the filmmaker should make Kaminey 2 with him.While reports are doing the round that Shahid is, in fact, already a part of Kaminey 2, the actor said: ‘I would be very happy if Kaminey 2 happens.’ Released in 2009, Kaminey starred Shahid in a double role and he won accolades for his performance from all quarters. It also starred Priyanka Chopra and it brought out the news of the affair the two actors had, which lasted for a few months after the movie released. The actors, however, still maintain that they are in good terms with each other. Also Read – A fresh blend of fame‘I had an amazing experience with Vishal sir working on Kaminey and now Haider. I just hope he casts me in his next film and I hope that this film is Kaminey 2,’ the 33-year-old said here Wednesday on the sets of reality show Cine Stars Ki Khoj.In fact, Bhardwaj has already locked a story. ‘He has an amazing story and I think everyone should tell him to make it because he is difficult to convince. But he has a story and a romantic version of Dhan te nan also. I have been telling him he should do it, but he is a filmmaker and he has his own thoughts,’ he added.An adaptation of William Shakespeare’s play Hamlet, Haider also stars Shraddha Kapoor. The film will hit theatres on 2 October.