New Delhi: Fourteen persons, deported from the United Arab Emirates and apprehended by the National Investigation Agency for suspected association with men linked to an alleged terror outfit, were flown from New Delhi to Chennai on a special flight Monday.It is learnt that the men were produced before a NIA court which granted their custody to the agency. Sources claimed that the men — they were said to be from Chennai, Tirunelveli, Theni, Nagapattinam and Ramanathapuram — were members of Wahdat-e-Islami Hind, a religious organisation in Tamil Nadu. Also Read – Squadrons which participated in Balakot air strike awarded citations on IAF DayThey were deported after intelligence agencies received credible inputs that they had been in touch with individuals in Tamil Nadu who have now been placed under arrest by the NIA for suspected links to alleged terror outfit Ansarulla.On Saturday, the NIA searched premises linked to three individuals in connection with its probe into activities of Ansarulla. One among them was Chennai resident Syed Bukhari, president of the Wahdat-e-Islami Hind. On Sunday, the NIA arrested two of the three individuals — Hassan Ali Also Read – SC declines Oil Min request to stay sharing of documents on Reliance penaltyYunusmaricar and Harish Mohammed, both from Nagapattinam — “based on incriminating facts revealed during searches and subsequent investigations”. Along with Bukhari, the two men are already accused in a NIA case registered on July 9 against Ansarulla.The Wahdat-e-Islami Hind has maintained it is a religious organisation with no connection to radical Islam. Established in 2009 in Chennai as a religious organisation, it had earlier denied links to the banned Students Islamic Movement of India (SIMI). While booking Bukhari and his associates, the NIA, in a statement, said they had been charged under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act “based on credible information received that the accused persons, while being within and beyond India, had conspired and conducted consequent preparations to wage war against the Government of India by forming the terrorist gang Ansarulla”.The NIA claimed that it had “learnt that the accused persons and their associates had collected funds and made preparations to carry out terrorist attacks in India, with the intention of establishing Islamic rule in India”.During the searches Saturday, the NIA claimed to have seized nine mobile phones,15 SIM cards, seven memory cards, three laptops, five hard disks, six pen drives, two tablets and three CDs/DVDs besides documents including magazines, banners, notices, posters and books.(With inputs from Indian Express)
In a presidential statement read out in a formal meeting by Brian Cowan, the Foreign Minister of Ireland, which holds the presidency of the 15-member body for the month of October, the Council agreed with Mr. Annan’s assessment that the UN should remain engaged in East Timor to protect the major achievements so far of the UN Transitional Administration in East Timor (UNTAET), to build on those accomplishments and to help the East Timorese government in ensuring security and stability.The Council concurred that a new UN mission should be based on the premise that operational responsibilities should be gradually handed over to East Timorese authorities as soon as it was feasible, and supported a continuing process of assessment and downsizing of the UN presence over a period of two years.The Council also backed the recommendation by East Timor’s Constituent Assembly that independence be declared on 20 May 2002. Before the Council began its discussion, it held a private teleconference this morning with UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan, who is in Geneva, on the situation in East Timor as well as his proposals for a mission to succeed UNTAET.At the outset of the open debate, UNTAET chief Sergio Vieira de Mello briefed the Council on the Secretary-General’s plan for a UN presence in East Timor post-independence, pointing out that the proposed date was exactly 200 days away. The successor mission to UNTAET, Mr. Vieira de Mello said, would focus on the security of the new nation. Upon independence, internal security would continue to be the primary responsibility of the international civilian police, with increasing involvement from the national police service. Meanwhile, the military component should number some 5,000 personnel, down 44 per cent from current strength, in order to ensure effective border security pending the development of East Timor’s own defence force.Mr. Vieira de Mello also warned that as Timorese took greater control over their governance, any precipitous reduction in government services should be avoided, and a minimum degree of support was needed to ensure that the new government did not falter. Despite progress toward independence, he stressed, the “job we have all set out to do is not yet done.”Today’s meeting also featured the Chief Minister of the Second Transitional Government of East Timor, Mari Alkatiri, and officials from the World Bank and UN Development Programme (UNDP). Speakers from more than 50 delegations took the floor during the discussion to express their support for UNTAET and the UN’s efforts in East Timor.